ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

someone explain computer processors to me

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I'm currently looking for a new laptop, the Dell I've got is 4 and a half years old and has a 2.00 Ghz processor and 1GB of Ram, at the time this laptop cost £650 so it was what I regarded as a fairly decent spec (well to me it was).

The ones I've been looking at now generally have from 2.2 Ghz processor and between 4GB and 6GB of Ram.

First question is why has the size of the Ram available increased so much compared to the increase in processors.

Secondly what the difference between the i3, i5 and i7 Intel processors (obviously the higher the number the better it will be).

Thanks.

Just to give you an idea of what mines used for I only use such programmes as AutoCAD, Acrobat, Outlook, word etc and don't play games or watch movies on it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Processor's of recent have made more advances in core counts as opposed to core speeds (Mainly due to heat restraints) The I series of processors by intel are very good, even the I3's. - As you say, the I7 is considered to be the best but often surplus to requirements - An I5 will be more then enough. The numbering on these is simply reference to their intended market - I3 = Low I5 = Mid I7 = High

RAM has increased most likely due to the demands of the operating system's - e.g Windows XP required a minimum of 64mb of RAM where as Vista required 1024 MB.
Depending on which operating system the laptop comes with, 4GB of RAM should be a good solid starting point (Preferably to DDR3 standard) with 6GB being an added bonus if the price is reasonable.

It would also be beneficial to choose a machine with a named graphics processing unit (ATI / Nvidia) although you could probably survive with a generic solution.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
Exactly, all about the architecture really, besides, I think theyre waiting for the motherboards to catch up. I seem to remember w hile back that the bus' were the limiting factor in it all. That or hard drive speeds.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
I seem to remember w hile back that the bus' were the limiting factor in it all. That or hard drive speeds.

It's the Interconnect between the billions of transistors that limit the speed (RC time constant present)... Hopefuly, someone will eventully figure out how to use stable carbon nanotubes as the interconnect, as these are around 20times faster than the current interconnet used :)

(first thing relevant to my degree I've spewed out since passing uni lol)

clio
If you using autocad to design rather than just view the more of everything the better. Look at disc rpm too 7200plus only

Not a 320d
It's the Interconnect between the billions of transistors that limit the speed (RC time constant present)... Hopefuly, someone will eventully figure out how to use stable carbon nanotubes as the interconnect, as these are around 20times faster than the current interconnet used :)

(first thing relevant to my degree I've spewed out since passing uni lol)

Lol, go get yourself a grad scheme with ARM :)