ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some real dumb, but pertinent 1080p HD Q's!

320d M Sport
Ok, before anyone says I'm stupid I'm generally pretty clued up on this, I'm also on the AV Forums, but talk about in depth........i've read 60 pages so far and am loosing the will to live.

System:

Sony KDL 40V4000 tv.
Onkyo 606 Receiver
Sharp Blu Ray Player
Jamo A102 5.1 speakers.
Xbox 360 (which is dying!)

so...

My new 1080p TV is connected to a Blu Ray. The blu ray is playing at 1080p. My tv has a setting for pixel perfect which means it displays 1 pixel on the TV for each pixel sent from the Blu ray ie 1920 x 1080. Why then so you still get the black "widescreen" banding? Seems like a waste?

HD Audio then...

Does anyone have this Onyo amp?

Do I set my Blu Ray to output PCM to the amp? If i do the amp lights up "PCM MULTI-MCHNL) which I'm told IS HD Audio? Correct?

Oh, and can someone explain differences in HDMI 1 and HDMI 1.3a?

Am I being thick?!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My new 1080p TV is connected to a Blu Ray. The blu ray is playing at 1080p. My tv has a setting for pixel perfect which means it displays 1 pixel on the TV for each pixel sent from the Blu ray ie 1920 x 1080. Why then so you still get the black "widescreen" banding? Seems like a waste?

Widescreen TVs are 16:9 size ratio width:height.

Are you watching a film that's presented in 2.35:1 (check the DVD case for ratio info.)? Lots of films are filmed in proper widescreen, so the black bars are meant to be there - it's presenting the film in the way in which the director wants you to see it.

If you use your TV settings to stretch the picture to fit (getting rid of the black bands but giving you a horribly distorted picture) someone will come and visit you in the night and punch you very hard. It's wrong to do that.