ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some Glasgow pics at night . . .

Flamer
i like the pics but get yourself photoshop an some tutorials. i love the last one!! My boyfriend does alot of photos in RAW and photoshops so easy to convert :)

Porsche Boxster987S
I've not played with a D90 yet but want one, I played with a D80 and liked it, but it was really heavy compared to my D40.

cool. Meeting alan (B@llsie) a night next week so ill have a look at his d90.

Can i ask , how do you take those kind of pics you see on motorways where the headlights/tailights are like lines along the motorway?? Shutter speed?? How do i change it on the d40?:eek:

Slow shutter speed (think seconds, not hundredths of a second) - tripod - Lowest possible ISO - high aperture (not too sure on the aperture, haven't took and light streams myself).

It's all experimenting until you get the effect you like.

Tappd'd RS
Looking for about a 30 second exposure for those sort of pics Paul. I've tried it a couple of times with varying degrees of success.

1043558099_63d241eaf4.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albroon/1043558099/

1043558307_74058b8158.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/albroon/1043558307/

Tappd'd RS
As everyone suggests, go for as low an ISO setting as you can. I set up on a high tripod with a 30 second exposure. Haven't tried it for a while - must try again.

Those were both taken on a D40x back in 2007.

Porsche Boxster987S
As everyone suggests, go for as low an ISO setting as you can. I set up on a high tripod with a 30 second exposure. Haven't tried it for a while - must try again.

Those were both taken on a D40x back in 2007.

on the d40 the iso only goes as low as 200. Low enough?? And when you say a 30second exposure , how do i do this on the camera??

Tappd'd RS
Shutter speed settings mate - move the wheel as far to the right (I think) as you can. Your display should show 30" or something like that to signify a 30 second exposure.

Porsche Boxster987S
Shutter speed settings mate - move the wheel as far to the right (I think) as you can. Your display should show 30" or something like that to signify a 30 second exposure.

ok mate excellent. Ill go out tomorrow night and give it a try.

Btw , mates still having trouble geting the RAW images up. Any ideas bar photoshop?

Tappd'd RS
Does he have a Mac? I think iPhoto can process RAW images.

Did he not get some Nikon software with his camera that can be used?

I love the colours you can get at night. Don't know how many times I've played about with the colours on this one (before I "lost" the master image)

2797848024_ebb4af1c03_b.jpg

Porsche Boxster987S
Does he have a Mac? I think iPhoto can process RAW images.

Did he not get some Nikon software with his camera that can be used?

I love the colours you can get at night. Don't know how many times I've played about with the colours on this one (before I "lost" the master image)

2797848024_ebb4af1c03_b.jpg

i dont know mate , ill need to have a chat with him tomorrow. Stunning pic that. Love the star affect of the light

Porsche Boxster987S
heading back into the city tonight to try again in a few different locations. Any other bits of advice or tips to try and improve on the ones in the first post?

You might want to try multiple exposures. Try and get a shot that exposes correctly for everything, but if something is too bright (or too dark) take a photo and expose for that, Then combine in photoshop :)

Do you shoot in RAW? If you do you will have greater flexibility when changing the white balance of the shots :)