ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some assistance connecting stalk to head unit

CLIO RS 182
Hi Guys,
I've been reading a lot on the forums about how to connect the remote control stalk to a head unit and thought I had this figured, but seem to be at a bit of a road block. Any assistance would be appreciated!

I have a Pioneer head unit and a Clio 182.
All the connectors are connected with the exception of the the two blue cables the red one you see in the image below.
eSe9Nz.jpg

I have power/ audio and everything is working on the head unit but the stalk is not working.

The mini jack is connected into a slot labelled W/R. (The other mini jack is connected to the handsfree mic).
The disconnected blue cables are labelled Remote Control. I have tried connecting them but that doesnt seem to make a difference.

My cables also came with the instructions below; Must I cut and solder something to get this working?
WSwVj1.jpg

Thanks for the help!

CLIO RS 182
Thanks!

I'll also upload this just incase it helps. These are the instructions for the main set of cables. The only thing I'm not sure of here, are the 'ignition' and 'permanent' labelled diagrams in the middle diagram.

W2m2jy.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The blue wire on the back of the HU fires up and shuts down amplifiers etc when you turn the stereo on and off. Also does power retracting aerials I think?. Forget about it (unless you have an amp of course!)

By the looks of it you will want to have the connector set up like the bottom left picture. I think it is set up like that already.

The stalk controls go through a yellow connector which comes down from the clock display. Is that plugged into the Connects2?

(@Knuckles 'Cullum'? :( )

CLIO RS 182
@McGherkin

Thank you for your response! No amp.
Re the yellow connector, it is indeed connected to the Connects2. I'm assuming the obvious; the cables should only go in one way. The yellow connector doesnt look like it does on the diagram (three squares) its just one yellow square. Thats connected and clicked into place on the Connects2, only takes up a small amount of space in the connector.

sdHPyG.jpg

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Is it possible that the yellow connector is 180 degrees out? Also the white one isn't in all the way but you're getting sound OK so I'm guessing it's just pulled out while you took the photo.

Is there anything on the display? 'RENAULT' perhaps?

CLIO RS 182
It's possible the yellow one is 180 deg. out, I'll go check that. I'd have thought it wouldn't actually go in if it was.
Yeah that white one is a b**ch to get in. It won't easily clip into place so its hanging out here slightly, but the sound is working.
Nothing on the display a top the dash where the clock is - assuming you mean that one?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I only said that about the yellow connector because it looks like the sprung clip should go on the outer edge in a recess similar to the one opposite it?

And yeah, the top display.

CLIO RS 182
Nothing on the top display other than the temp. and the Clock.
Tried turning the yellow connector around 180 deg but it wont go in at all that way. It has a sprung clip on both sides

CLIO RS 182
Looking at the manual I wonder if the mini jack I've plugged into isnt actually correct?
The manual says the two mini jacks are for the Mic and for the "Rear output or subwoofer control." Does Rear Output constitute stalk control? Ha. I assume so given all the brochures indicates its compatible with them..

PfSl7S.png

CLIO RS 182
I was just thinking the same thing, although again I'm sure I tried connecting them in various orders but they would only go in one way. I'll have another play with them to triple check.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The only thing I can think is that something is not fully connected, or the jumpers are set up wrong.

Is the blue remote cable connected at the moment? Perhaps the connects2 is drawing power from that.

CLIO RS 182
The Blue remote cable isn't connected to anything. The only spare cable it fits to is the other 'section' of the blue cable. Nothing seems to connect to the red cable coming off the Connects2

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've just seen that link you posted. Do you know if the Connects2 is a 'Tuner list' one? Perhaps a link to where you bought it? I think it may well be.

In which case, that may well be it.

CLIO RS 182
I got it from Halfords but they had to special order it in for me.

The cable code is CTSRN003
The packaging doesn't say update or tuner. The internet seems to be confused on the matter too..

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well, you have a Tuner list one. I'm fairly sure that the 182s come with the Update list one (could you check your standard stereo to confirm this? Should say 'Update List' on the lower right hand side of the facia by the right set of buttons)

If it is an update list one, you need a CTSRN005.2

I'm guessing Halfords sourced it? If it is wrong, take it back and get them to swap it out for the right one.

CLIO RS 182
Nailed it. I have an Update List.
Yep Halfords sourced it. It'll be the third return I do just to get the damn thing connected.
Thanks for your help, truly appreciated.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No worries. Sorry I spent so long fart arsing around with connections etc. I should've twigged it from the connects2 manual when it says it fits clios from 2000-2005!

CLIO RS 182
Ha! I'm relatively new to the UK so I guess I'm finding that out the hard way.
Thankfully there are knowledgable Clio Sport members willing to lend a hand :)

Should do, I did some looking into it and you need the right tuner or update list cable otherwise it wont work, so the one you've bought now should work.

CLIO RS 182
Haha, yeah for sure! It was about the first thing I did - can't stand the radio these days and I don't own a single CD. Needed my iPod/ Phone working!
The hardest part now is trying to squeeze the head unit back into place with all those cables and adapters behind it now.
Want to change out my climate control panel next week so I think I'll tidy it up then and push some of the adapters back down towards the CC unit.

RS Clio 182 FF
Just a quick question for those that have gone down the Connects 2 path, does the cruise control still work after changing the head unit? I know the HUD will only display time & temp.

Creedy

CLIO RS 182
@ccreedy I should be able to test that out for you tomorrow on my way to Heathrow if there isn't much traffic; but I'm not sure why it would affect the cruise control - the display for the cruise control in my 182 is in the instrument cluster below the speedo, not in the dash top display where the clock is?
Would be strange if the head unit and the cruise control were connected, no?

RS Clio 182 FF
Cheers for the reply, My concern is that the CC buttons on the wheel are integrated with the stalks on the 182/172, and although yes the display for the Cruise control is on the instrument panel I have seen Renault wire up things in bizarre manners before, take the early MK1 Clio & Meganne, stalk controls hook up to the HUD/Clock in the center console before doping down to the stereo itself . :)

RS Clio 182 FF
That's good to hear, once the car's back from having the Cam Belt done, I'll gut the OEM Radio, with the state of the roads where I am CD's are not an option ;)