ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SOLUTION - Cutting out, won't idle, EML/coil light

Clio 1.2 16V
Hi all.
I recently had a problem with my 2005 1.2 16v Clio. (01-05 model). Car was running fine then after doing a motorway trip the accelerator wasn't responding properly to my input. Revs all over the place, lagging, and then wouldn't idle properly. Then it wouldn't start sometimes, and when it did, when you pressed the accelerator it just cut out. Took to the garage as it had also started to show EML. Plugged it in and it gave all sorts of fault codes to do with accelerator pedal (potentiometer) and idle control valve. Garage couldn't pinpoint the fault and said it would be costly diagnosing. So I took it back off them, cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner but made no difference. After some research it was narrowed down to either faulty wiring or ECU as throttle body seemed to be working.

However, before spending any money, sprayed some easy start into the throttle body as trying to start and started no problem. As it was about to cut out I gave it another blip of the easy start and it recovered. Therefore diagnosed as fuel problem. Check injectors etc and we're all fine.

Changed fuel pump with a second hand one... Issue solved!! Worth trying this before messing with TB, ECU, Wiring etc. I was minutes from scrapping - glad I didn't.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Sorry for being up an old post,
Looking at my old ph1 today and not getting fuel pump sound on ignition after fitting charged battery.

The car failed it’s mot with high emissions/ over fuelling last time it was running.
would this be a sign that the fuel pump was playing up hence why no fuel priming now

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry for being up an old post,
Looking at my old ph1 today and not getting fuel pump sound on ignition after fitting charged battery.

The car failed it’s mot with high emissions/ over fuelling last time it was running.
would this be a sign that the fuel pump was playing up hence why no fuel priming now
Are you getting 12v at the plug? I had a ph1 where one of the main power wires to the fuel pump was corroded. Also check the relays are functioning properly. High emissions could be loads but most likely to be your pre-cat lambda sensor. If it's been sitting for a while injectors tend to play up a bit.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/voltage-drop-car-not-starting.796842/