ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid top mounts...

Not a poxy Renault
I've had enough of the frikkin creaking, so I'm asking for experience and prices on fixed (bolt on) top mounts.
I'm guessing its them that are making the noise and not the ball joints whice have a bit of play in each but seem to be equal.
It only really happens at low speeds, car parks etc and mostly when I'm turning the steering wheel. By the way the Renault grinding 'fix' has been carried out and I've got some top mount washers fitted.
Looking to get some coilovers later in the year so any thoughts welcomed.
Tom

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
they can be harsh for pure road use, they do help with handling but expect banging and crashing instead of creaking.

a thirsty one
i have the creaking as well i ordered some washers a while ago but not got round to fitting them, is it an easy job? did a searh other day for a guide but 1000's of threads for the washers.

they can be harsh for pure road use, they do help with handling but expect banging and crashing instead of creaking.

agreed and some knocking aswell! there is an incresed noise but the steering is positive and im sure once iv got the car checked and camber and toe set it will be perfect!

Not a poxy Renault
Look for the thread started by Fred with a few hundred posts, there's a pictoral guide in there somewhere for fitting the washers.
So my choices are creaking or banging? I'm hoping to do a few trackdays this year and hopefully quite a few next. What sort of prices is everyone paying?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
varies between £100 - £350 ish, depending on quality. As with everything you get what you pay for.

Evo IX -06
banging, crashing & knocking from fixed solid tops ??

i dont think so. what there can make any noise ?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

have you ever run solid top mounts on UK roads?

I do, mine is not a think or maybe senario. The banging and crashing is from the suspension. You switch from a rubber to a solid metal and you get a harsher but more controlled ride.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

SO you have lots of experience of driving with solid top mounts on UK roads?

ever hit a pothole with the connection between the strut and chassis being metal and not rubber?

Not a poxy Renault
Annoying Isn't it, but I suppose its one of those short cuts that made the car relatively cheap in the first place. My £500 Diesel Saxo has got better top mounts than my 182! and they're fixed!
I guess whats needed is some kind of part metal, part rubberised mount that is also fixable. Sounds like an expensive piece to develop from scratch though. I wonder if something from another make of car will fit?

I used to get the creaking noise from the top mount. Erradicated it by adding a few drops of oil on rubber bushing that sits in the suspension turret. Took a few miles for the oil to work in but now have no creaking!

Evo IX -06

SO you have lots of experience of driving with solid top mounts on UK roads?

ever hit a pothole with the connection between the strut and chassis being metal and not rubber?

..yeah but metal one is bolted to turret and dont move, also top of damper is tight packet with all bits. original rubber moves...

im not experienced uk roads and even not solid top mounts (yet)

182 inside
soild top mounts are not as bad as everyone makes out. I have the compbrake top mounts with eibach sportline spings and koni adjustable shocks. Car does handle better and you get harsher road noise from bumps and pot holes. If your prepared to live with it then it's fine.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
graham my point exactly. it's harsher than normal but not so harsh you can't put up with it.

Not a poxy Renault
I take it they're a totally different design then, I was just interested in how Renault have approached the problem this time around since the 197 is meant to handle fantastically. I'll keep pondering a set of solid mounts, although doesn't the fact that they knock and bang mean that there's force being transferred to areas which weren't meant to take it instead of the crappy rubber job acting like a sponge?

iv done about 200 miles today, first real long drive of the car since iv been messing arround with all the suspension, the sold top mounts were great, the noises i had before have gone, all seams good now

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i've done around 1500 miles since fitting mine - combination of track and a very long m-way drive. the mounts held up well.

Tangoed Works
Make, the rubber is there is the original mounts to give a bit of play in the suspension to remove noise and harshness.

Mounts made out of metal have no play and give hence getting more noise and harshness. Other components will also wear out more quickly. It will only be slient on completley smooth and flat roads.

Make, the rubber is there is the original mounts to give a bit of play in the suspension to remove noise and harshness.

Mounts made out of metal have no play and give hence getting more noise and harshness. Other components will also wear out more quickly. It will only be slient on completley smooth and flat roads.

Agree.

Although I'm not finding noise an issue, unless you hit a pot hole etc.

The front Trophy Sachs units in std setting (22 clicks) are very firm, combined with Mark Fish custom springs and the solid top mounts makes the ride almost unbearable for general road use.

By winding down my front dampers I've gained back almost all of the ride comfort.

Can't wait to test out on track and wind all the dampers up again.

LY 182
with my solid top mounts i get no banging at all?
you get a bit more road noise transmitted through them but no banging or crashing

if you think about the rubber ones are free to move up and down and therefore can bang in the turrets, solid ones are bolted solidly to the strut so therefor there is no movement for it to bang and crash

thought i'd bump this rather than ask in a new thread; aside from the cons of increased harshness and noise, can i ask if anyone has noticed if they accelerate wear in other components (dampers, etc)?

considering some but also not particularly keen on making the front end any livelier than it already is - do they exacerbate tramlining?

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i've not noticed it if it does, but having said that i had my tracking altered slightly just after fitting them...