ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid top mounts/Alignment

Volvo S40
Hi All,

I fitted solid suspension top mounts at the weekend. I'm guessing it goes without saying that I should have the wheel alignment checked now?

The car is fitted with standard cup shocks and cooksport springs. I have no camber bolts etc. With my setup is there any real benefit in going for 4-wheel alignment over 2-wheel?

Many Thanks,

Jamie.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yes mate ref the alignment check. Its worth getting the rears checked but without camber shims there is no adjustment

Volvo S40
I'd planned to go for PMS ones but a set of unused ktec ones came up for a price I couldn't refuse so went for those instead.

Volvo S40
I'm on the Somerset/Wiltshire border. Ads is ~15 mins down the road from me so thought he might be able to recommend somewhere locally. There's a place in Westbury trading estate I get most of my work done at but the guy happens to be on holiday at the moment.

172 Turbo
I'd just get a hunter alignment at your local Kwik Fit, if you tweet them they'll tell you the nearest branch with Hunter kit

Volvo S40
Must admit I didn't realise kwik sh*t had hunter equipment. My nearest one does so I may have to go for that. You have any idea how much they charge out of interest?

172 Turbo
Could be anything from £60 upwards according to Google, but as you've only got the TRE to adjust I'd guess it would be lower.
My set up with camber was done locally for £70.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
@Sesqui89 Carson tyres in Melksham or J Day in Henstridge both have Hunter kit, if you search for alignmycar.co.uk it will bring up who uses Hunter alignment :smile:

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Won't let me edit the above but can recommend Carson, have used them a few times and have always been impressed with the results, ranging from run of the mill to exhaust scraping low and also 4x4's on 22" wheels

Volvo S40
Thanks @Ads29 hadn't seen your replies until just now but funnily enough have left a message with Carson :smile:

Pardon my ignorance but what are my best options with regards to camber/toe on standard shocks? The car is my daily and will see a track probably 3 times a year.

After searching I've seen that -1.5deg camber on the front with 1mm toe out seems to be a popular setup for "fast road"/occasional track use? Is this possible without camber bolts?

As far as the rear goes - I can have it measured but if anything is drastically out I'll need shims to adjust it?

Edit: forgot to add I'll be fitting a whiteline rarb soon if that makes any difference to how I should set the car up?

Last edited: