ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SolarWinds - Any IT Pros on here using it?

E39 530i
How do you find it? I've been running the trial and it seems to present back lots of infomation which would normally take a long time to work out. We have a medium-ish environment, about 8 esxi hosts with a total of 45-ish VM's and an EqualLogic SAN. Very good tool but obviously isn't cheap.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
We use it, far bigger infrastructure than yours though. Seems to do it's job, though I believe we're thinking of replacing it with SCOM

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Our Solarwinds install is 5 years out of date and the powers that be want newer technology because they like shiny toys.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I use Solarwinds to manage/monitor customers networks everyday. Normally Orion Network Performance Monitor and Network Configurtion Manager modules more than the others. Installed and modelled networks forms scratch as well as normal administration of maps etc on a day to day basis.

The software I favour over this, by quite some margin, is CA Spectrum. Route Cause Analysis is its trump card. Again, use this day in day out as its fundemental to my job.

E39 530i
I use Solarwinds to manage/monitor customers networks everyday. Normally Orion Network Performance Monitor and Network Configurtion Manager modules more than the others. Installed and modelled networks forms scratch as well as normal administration of maps etc on a day to day basis.

The software I favour over this, by quite some margin, is CA Spectrum. Route Cause Analysis is its trump card. Again, use this day in day out as its fundemental to my job.

Thats one of the main things i want to also manage, trialing orion npm and it seems alright, just need to get my head around it. P'm going to check out CA Spectrum.

E39 530i
The IT guy here started running SpiceWorks as of Thursday last week and he loves it since I suggested it to him. Never heard of solorwinds though. For free you can't grumble at SpiceWorks

I've used Spiceworks for a number of years, its a good tool but lacks some features. The community it a good place also. I love spiceworks however.

Clio 197 FF
I find it works well. We use it to monitor 80 sites (80 primary routers, 80 backup routers ), as well as the switching/routing infrastructure in the HC. However we also use what's up gold to monitor servers (physical and virtual), SANs, etc, which I find excellent albeit a beast to configure in some instances.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Yes. Solarwinds is good as a monitoring tool. It's what BT Sas use to monitor their customer base. The GUI is really easy to navigate and you get fancy looking gauges for bw monitoring etc. I don't have much experience using it to monitor servers to be honest so couldn't help you there. Alerts are pretty easy to configure and are customisable by means of boolean logic so certain things only alert at between certain times of day and directed towards different people.

Ca Spectrum is in a different league to be honest. It's used by major financial organisation and it may still be used by the American militarty to manage their network. It's vastly superior when mapping your network as it automatically understands physical topologies by using various protocols such as CDP, MAC and ARP tables to establish neighbour relationships. This is then used to perform route cause analysis when something does go wrong. Simple example. A single point of failure breaks and it forms part of a large failure domain. You are provided with one alarm (good thing) instead of 10s/100s alarms for all the devices that are down behind the true fault.

If you ever want to outsource your network management or just part of it give me a PM. I work for www.networksfirst.com

Nissan 350z
Solarwinds is great if your infrastructure is all centralised, and together. Management like it too due to the shiny dashboard with animations :)
Unfortunately ours are spread accross domains, physical locations, BT Circuits etc and getting approval for the firewall changes is too much hassle.

Tons of useful information if you want to be proactive with your monitoring.