ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Soft top clean

Going to do the good son deed and clean my mums new S5 at the weekend :)

However...

It has been treated to the Autoglym protection package (I know, I told her not to) and as far as I'm aware this coats and protects the paint, glass and fabric roof.

My question is, what should I use to clean the roof? I don't want to clean and protect, just clean as it already has the protection in place. Just a pressure wash off with water? Or can I snow foam and go over it whilst 2BM'ing the body?

Or do I just ignore it completely?!

Basically I don't want to go putting any marks/stains in the fabric when I could've potentially done something a lot easier

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I here that the AG hood cleaner is quite good. I belive Rob used it on the roof of his Z4.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The AG kit is OK, but tbh not what I'd use if I had the choice.

I can't remember names off hand, but there are some fancy products that are supposed to be far better.

Oh, and no pressure washer unless it's on seriously wide and is far away, you'll mark the fabric.

Get yourself some APC (all purpose cleaner) and medium/soft brush work untill clean
doing this will more than likley remove whatevers on there so
i would recomend get yourself some Gtecnic I1 for £6
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/gtechniq-i1-smart-fabric/prod_1094.html

See thats the thing Im trying to avoid. I dont want to be removing whats on there every wash as it will hopefully getting a wash once a month. I always thought a deep clean and re apply was a 2 or 3 times a year kind of thing?

Didn't @Daniel post a thread similar to this? He may be able to help!

Here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?705213-Valeters-detailers-Help-Please!

:)

Cheers Thomas but thats more deep clean again, I just want to know what to do with regards to a weekly wash! :(
The AG kit is OK, but tbh not what I'd use if I had the choice.

I can't remember names off hand, but there are some fancy products that are supposed to be far better.

Oh, and no pressure washer unless it's on seriously wide and is far away, you'll mark the fabric.

I probably should've messaged you about this first Rob as I noticed your convertible avatar in other posts. What do you do with the soft top during a maintenance wash? Or do you brush with APC and reseal EVERY time you wash the car? I only want to spend an hour on it at most ...

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
I did my mum's TT this year; different scenario as hers was a state, covered in green and quite faded. However one relevant step that made a big difference was getting the hoover with hose and brush attachment on it. Hell of an improvement for a couple of minutes work.

I did my mum's TT this year; different scenario as hers was a state, covered in green and quite faded. However one relevant step that made a big difference was getting the hoover with hose and brush attachment on it. Hell of an improvement for a couple of minutes work.

Will have to remember the Hoover trick then as it sounds quite successful! What do you do during a normal wash sidey ?

And how do you go about the roof during a 'normal' wash Rob ?

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Well after thoroughly cleaning it and recolouring with renovo i sealed with cquartz Fabric&Leather, so maintenace washes since have just been with AF Lather so far.
Needs reproofing (only used the sample size which stretched to do the whole roof), i may go with gtechniq I1

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Will have to remember the Hoover trick then as it sounds quite successful! What do you do during a normal wash sidey ?

And how do you go about the roof during a 'normal' wash Rob ?

Normal wash it just gets a scrub with the mitt and some shampoo. The z4 roof is not supposed to be water tight on the top layer (it's a three layer roof) so I'm not worried about the integrity of it if that makes sense?

Rob Thanks for that info mate

It should scrub up well with just a wash mitt then as it's got the AG treatment on. Will more than likely give it a proper scrub and re-seal with a premium product in the spring :)