ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So removing the gearbox...

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I only put the engine back in last month and now a synchro has gone so I plan to put my spare gearbox on. Also a front spring has just snapped so both struts are going to be removed to fix this. So I fancy changing the gearbox with the engine in place but haven't done it before and there's no guide to speak of. So is this right: take out the strut and hub, leave the wishbone on the sub frame, disconnect both gearbox mounts and lower the sub frame by un-doing the two bolts a few turns? Do you need to do anything with the steering rack and starter motor (I hope not as I flippin hate leaning over to undo exhaust manifold nuts). The engine will be lowered using an engine crane to keep it all safe. Thanks.

No need to remove the strut and hub. You'll need to completely lower the subframe. Leave starter and rack, just disconnect the pinch bolt on the column or leave the rack on the car.

Personally I find removing the box in situ on a driveway/without a ramp so fiddly I'd just pull the engine and box out the top as it is quicker and less time lying under the car.
@Budgie does it without removing subrame or engine.

330i. E30 Touring.
Nope, can do it with the subframe in place. Can wiggle the old one out and the new one in with it all in situ.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Thanks. The strut is coming off in this case as a broken spring needs replacing. I might take it all away then with the wishbone attached as suggested as separate it off the car.