ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

snow tyres

Black Sheep
Bit premature:S but I have a spare set of wheels for winter and two of the tyres are bald at the moment. Was thinking of getting the two replaced with snow tyres for the front of the car and just keep the two rear ones my two new normal tyres. Anyone used these tyres are they any good which set do you recommend.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Winter tyres work well under 7 degrees Celsius... They'll be shot before September if you buy them now or you'll have put the car in a hedge as they don't work when it's warm.

sFhwJGqj.jpg

Get some of these.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
also you need to fit snow tyres i 4s, putting just them on the front is dangerous, and you loose the advantage of them, think about driving with bread crates under the back wheels, under hard or emergency braking the back end will whip round on you.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
also you need to fit snow tyres i 4s, putting just them on the front is dangerous, and you loose the advantage of them, think about driving with bread crates under the back wheels, under hard or emergency braking the back end will whip round on you.

This. Fitting them just on the front is bordering on insanity.

Black Sheep
I was thinking that it would not be right just fitting them on the front. The reason I thought it would be ok is that when it is snowing ect I am not going fast at all I just wanted a bit of grip for getting up some of the hills round here hills and getting up to my house ect to and from work. In the wet I would be going no more faster than I go with standard tyres on the rear anyway, I am not getting them to become the next Sebastien Loeb lol. Or would the extra grip play a big factor even at low speeds in the wet.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Snow tyres are becoming a must with the winters we get now and the Clio is awful in the snow. I would advise getting snow tyres but only using them in november to march and if you only use them on the front there is a good chance you will go ar5e first into a hedge very quickly.

Black Sheep
looks like I will be getting them all round if I do only reason I was not, is that I will be left with two new casings. Anyone used chains are they a pain in the arse? I assume each time you get on tarmac you will have to stop and take them off ha ha. suppose they would be good to have in the boot when it gets stupidly bad when all the roads are snowed covered like last winter.

Jap Box
Snow tyres are becoming a must with the winters we get now and the Clio is awful in the snow. I would advise getting snow tyres but only using them in november to march and if you only use them on the front there is a good chance you will go ar5e first into a hedge very quickly.

Clio's are great in the snow, over last winter mine was going perfectly with some pirelli tyres on them :)

Why not get the snow sock type things instead? Easier than chains and can be used over normal tyres http://www.autosock.co.uk/

172 cup, Impreza P1
Clio's are great in the snow, over last winter mine was going perfectly with some pirelli tyres on them :)

Why not get the snow sock type things instead? Easier than chains and can be used over normal tyres http://www.autosock.co.uk/

I was referring to RS clios with 172hp, no traction control, 205 profile tyres and no weight over the front wheels. I get stuck everywhere when it snows. The Impreza on the other hand is very good until the snow gets too deep and the splitter acts as a plough.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
^ Clios only put out 172PS (if they have that!) at ~6500 RPM. No weight over the front wheels !? Is your engine in the boot ?

Traction control is not needed in anything under 400HP+RWD, ever. Throttle control is much better.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
My 182 was fantastic in the snow. didn't use the Traction Control once, all comes down to the driver and how heavy there right foot is.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Yep.

FWD is the win in the snow. 4WD is not needed, all that will do is help you go faster, not stop faster.

My old 206 GTi was the f**king boss last winter, my parents rang me up because they both have RWD cars and were stuck in rural Lincolnshire. I got through, easy-f**king-peasy.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
4WD is defo better than FWD in the snow/ice. Not sure how I'd have got on without the Scoob last year TBH. My unmade hill of a road was just ice. Sash's Clio didn't go anywhere, neither did housemates //M. Scoob was unbothered by snow, slush, ice etc. Sideways on command too :D

Stopping is something 99.9% of people don't think about until it's too late ! :dead:

Clio 172 Cup
I was impressed past 2 years with the 172 Cup in the snow/ice.

Never got stuck and plowed on, even with 3am starts, fresh snow etc.

PS2's FTW.