ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snow Tyres on a 182?

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Anybody know of any issues about sticking 15" wheels and snow tyres on a 182?The car has the cup pack so is that wee bitty lower too. Will standard Clio steel wheels fit over the Discs ?
I work away and wife worried about forecast of a bad winter...live in a reasonably rural area road wise so can get awkward with low profiles on.Was thinking of just getting set of cheap steelies for winter unless I can get away with a set of cheap (yet attractive alloys!).

A slow one :-(
meh I was thinking about this as well on my cup but think I'm just going to get some snow chains. Saw some in Halfords for 50 quid!

Cupped 182 with Milltek
not really an option as I wont be around to put them on for her,also think that you cannot put chains on those tyres,think I saw something about not using chains,might have been in the manual.I looked into this briefly when I bought the car new in january.I had chains for a CRX years ago and drove to the alps for a ski holiday,they certainly do the business,but I would look at a more expensive set than Halfords as chances are those will scratch your wheels,a decent set has robust plastic sleeving over the chain where the are on the wheels.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
no problem. Your not menat to drive over a certain speed with chains on either are you? And ned to take them off when its not snowy. Better to get a winter tyre for snow, ice and cold roads.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
What size are the steelies for a clio anyway so I can look them up? 195 R15? Or 14 and what thickness? (as in 55, 60 etc)

Cheers, Mike

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Evil,you are correct when you say you are limited to speed with chains and its not high,they really are for when its deeper,ace in the alps but not much use on the lighter falls or ice.the only problem that might be noticed with snow tyres is the roll from the higher softer sidewall,unless you know a mate who rallies and get some of their old gravel / snow tyres !Tried them in past too.made it up to Ben Lawers car park (Highland Perthshire) in Polo,8 " of snow and the only other car in the car park was a Landie..

koevoet said:
made it up to Ben Lawers car park (Highland Perthshire) in Polo,8 " of snow

i know that car park...hope it wasnt the long way round...i'd never try that road in the snow...

Cupped 182 with Milltek
If they are improperly fitted,it's a possibility yes,didn't suffer any on the CRX but it wasn't new anyway,and some cheaper sets dont fit as well they should.bear in mind that you wont be able to go much over 30mph either.
Been looking around at tyres,looked on mytyres.co.uk some good prices.but found this review on Michelin Pilot Alpin,will call costco and see what the price would be for 4 when I get a chance but that will be a while as I am in the gulf of mexico (working!)http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/alpin.htm

Cupped 182 with Milltek
check theses to,good recviews and £52.10 from mytyres
http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Goodyear_Eagle_Ultra_Grip_GW3_tire_reviews.html this could go on....at least with these on you can still press on when its dry too!
Cookie,with the state of Scotlands rural roads it would barely be noticed,give them there due though they closed a couple of great roads near me for a few months and they are an absolute dream to drive now that they are run in and all the slime oozed out!

RenaultSport clio 172
koevoet said:
Anybody know of any issues about sticking 15" wheels and snow tyres on a 182?The car has the cup pack so is that wee bitty lower too. Will standard Clio steel wheels fit over the Discs ?
I work away and wife worried about forecast of a bad winter...live in a reasonably rural area road wise so can get awkward with low profiles on.Was thinking of just getting set of cheap steelies for winter unless I can get away with a set of cheap (yet attractive alloys!).

Hi

I'd go for the narrowest section you can get on the fronts, probably 165, and 185 on the rear. If you call someone like Dom Buckley they'll probably have decent quality 2nd user Colways that'd be ideal, those are the preferred choice for most rally drivers on a budget.

If you don't mind taking a chance with the law I'd go for mild studded tyres, which although are still illegal, they're less noticable. If you go for the more expensive varieties you can actually remove/replace the studs so you can change the depth depending on the snow. When the studs wear out, you can simply replace them so they'll last for a fair few years.

I have a set of 165's on TH2 Compomotives for my Delta, and although there's normally only 1 week of the year that you can use them, it's worth every penny. With those on, I laugh in the face of any 4wd truck/Jeep, seriously! :D

Regards

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Evil, 182 with both Cup packs.

Going for a set of Goodyear Eagle Ultra grip GW3's decided not to bother with other wheels,unncecessary expense,these will deal well with most conditions and still capable of throwing the car around,not a full on snow tyre but a winter tyre,read a lot f good recomendations from Canada,used in snow and ice.If the snow gets that bad here the car will be in the garage anyway,
Anybody used mytyres before?they are doing 205-45-16 for £74.10 inc vat and postage.
fancy a ski holiday more than new wheels right now!

Cupped 182 with Milltek
g18llo thanks for that matey,decided not to go the full snow tyre route as Wife wont be driving if the weather that bad,and still want a tyre that will handle those nice crisp dry winter days.A compromise I admit,but at least with the goodyears there is a better safety margin in just normal wet winter conditions.I found the full on snow tyre not as capable in everyday use and i intend to put these on when I get home and leave them on till spring.

just buy some 185/55 15 M+S tyres

I have 195/50 15 Bridgestone LM25 on my 172, they are ok but could be better in snow, thats why I recommend 185. They will last you 3 seassons easily.
Steelies are 6,5x15 ET36, perfect for winter abuse.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
I had thought of going that route Izi,but decided by the time I buy steelies and tyres i will still be spending £70 - £80 so going for those Goodyears,a good compromise but more performance biased than the pure snow tyre.Based on the fact that our roads tend to be more wet than snow covered,but these tyres get a very good set of reviews for snow use too,have a look in google groups and stick in the tyre name.if there is more than a couple of inches of snow the car wont be going anywhere,its more a case of not getting stuck if out and it snows.