ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snow foam

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I think it's good stuff. You can leave it on whilst you go round cleaning the wheels :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I personally have never bothered and never struggled getting my car spotless so not a necessity imo.

Honda & VW
Snow foam itself isn't a necessity however some kind of pre-wash is, and personally I find myself using snow foam every time. Yes you have products like Auto Finesse Citrus Power but although its a cracking products its a more costly choice.

RS6 C7
It's superb!

You can see it lifting the dirt from the car, Pre cleaners are great to but it's more fun using snow foam and it seems to get in all the little nooks and cranny's.

I personally have never bothered and never struggled getting my car spotless so not a necessity imo.

It's not a product to get your car spotless though... It's a pre cleaner to remove dirt to minimise the risk of marring your paint.

There is a reason for it. And some do work. Depends how anal you are or how bothered you are at having to correct your paint work each year.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It's not a product to get your car spotless though... It's a pre cleaner to remove dirt to minimise the risk of marring your paint.

There is a reason for it. And some do work. Depends how anal you are or how bothered you are at having to correct your paint work each year.

I know the reasons for use I have just never bothered. I try not to let my cars get too dirty before I wash them. Obviously if it was getting caked in mud every other week it would be well worth while.

Like you said it really comes down to how anal you are if you just had your car polished and want go keep it defect free for aslong as possible its well worth while.

The fact I said about getting the car spotless was probably a bit of a stupid comment. But to me it just makes the cleaning process more time consuming for the same results at the end. I'm just not anal enough for it no more. I used to want one though but never got round to buying one.

Last edited:
Confused by your first point being about how clean you get your car, in that case...

And again, it's not a case of caked in mud. Or just polished. It's anytime you wash your car. It's there as an added stage to remove as much grime before you touch the paint.

Biggest gimmick going imo.

Hardly. No offence, but with that statement, it's more likely you've not seen the impact it can have on your wash regime.

2BM your car and look at the rinse bucket. Then take the same level of dirt on the car, prefoam/spray with AF Citrus Power and pressure wash off. Then wash 2BM and I guarantee the rinse bucket will be MUCH cleaner.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Confused by your first point being about how clean you get your car, in that case...

And again, it's not a case of caked in mud. Or just polished. It's anytime you wash your car. It's there as an added stage to remove as much grime before you touch the paint.

If a car is caked in mud then you're more likely to inflict marks without some sort of pre wash. Whereas if it's a bit of dust then you're less likely to inflict marks without a pre wash. Again comes down to how anal you are.

As for newly polished paint then ofcourse you are going to want to try your best to maintain that. But if its already covered in swirls its not going to be as big a deal missing out on snowfoam. Again not to say you want to inflict more marks to an already swirly paint finish but its less of an issue if you do imo. Again! Depends how anal you are. Comprende?

I understand. Just not sure others in this thread do!

My car hasn't been polished for months. I still prewash. It will stay swirl free for months because of this. As Aleksandr would say, simples.

I just prefer using a grime remover such as CP. It's always given much better results in my experience.

That we agree on. Hence being disappointed by Avalanche not having the same cleaning properties as CP.

Honda & VW
That we agree on. Hence being disappointed by Avalanche not having the same cleaning properties as CP.

Nearly opted for Avalanche but ended up going for Megs HW instead. If Avalanche, or any snow foam solution, had the results that CP has then that would make for the perfect product imo

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
I use it as it quicker and easier to use with the jet wash etc. I suppose like anything a cheap one will do nowt but a good one will give better results. But I'm using it on a 12 year old Clio so don't really give a f@ck. My other cars get cleaned in work

Agreed. HW clearly demonstrates the best dilution ratio. I use it for wash bucket, wheel bucket, snow foam and a general APC. It's also good as a clay lube. Wondrous product.

CP pwns all for pre cleaning.

Honda & VW
Agreed. HW clearly demonstrates the best dilution ratio. I use it for wash bucket, wheel bucket, snow foam and a general APC. It's also good as a clay lube. Wondrous product.

CP pwns all for pre cleaning.

This is very true, for general washing I use HW on its own as my Snow foam solution but will tend to add some APC (either Megs APC or G101) prior to correction work

G101 4:1 through the lance = grime and old LSP stripper. Done. Then decontam incl clay, polish, seal; done.

Not a 320d
Hardly. No offence, but with that statement, it's more likely you've not seen the impact it can have on your wash regime.

2BM your car and look at the rinse bucket. Then take the same level of dirt on the car, prefoam/spray with AF Citrus Power and pressure wash off. Then wash 2BM and I guarantee the rinse bucket will be MUCH cleaner.

The problem is not in the fact youre pre rinsing.

Do you spend £20 on G101 and douse the car in it using your £2 spray bottle..... An excellent, if not the best pre wash going.

Or do you spend £15-20 on snowfoam, which IMO isnt that great, and then a further however much it is for the lance?

Thats the issue here.

Snowfoam is s**t.

Honda & VW
Unfortunately I think us 'lovers' will have to agree to disagree with you 'haters'

it works, its good, I use it!!!

The problem is not in the fact youre pre rinsing.

Do you spend £20 on G101 and douse the car in it using your £2 spray bottle..... An excellent, if not the best pre wash going.

Or do you spend £15-20 on snowfoam, which IMO isnt that great, and then a further however much it is for the lance?

Thats the issue here.

Snowfoam is s**t.

Disagree. You spend not a lot on HW and it lasts you yonks. Lance is £35. I know people spending that on buckets and grit guards...

Hey, it's personal experience, isn't it. CP is a product that has changed my detailing habits. Very few products have done that in the 8 years I've been detailing (C4, GT windscreen products, Af's mercury metal polish...).

Oh and I'd rather have this sort of thread, Adamm. and Tobias. It's the way I found out about the afore mentioned products - discussion and challenging my methods/products.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely mate I'm all ears on experienced opinions. I need to try some CP infact.

Just a pain that my car is on the street about 20 meters from the house so makes cleaning a pain in the ass lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I appreciate what some say with the car is no cleaner after a proper wash and snow foam / pre wash. But in fact it makes the general wash much easier and quicker than washing without. That with the reduced risk of pulling dirt across the paint, regardless of how anal you are about maintaining a swirl free finish, makes it worth a try.

As for the performance of a foam, yes some are better than others. A lot also comes down to your LSP, it's durability and water behaviour at the time of use. The better it is the quicker the foam or pre wash will fall off the car without softening and pulling dirt with it.

as for snow foam v pre wash, they both have there place. foaming can be a little quicker and general. I save CP for wheels and lower half of a car or spot areas to concentrate on. Foam I will apply to a whole car for other reasons also, after using tar or iron removers, if I have polishing dust everywhere etc

snow foam works well for me. I usually use car lack sealant and a wax every 4 months which probably helps the snow foam do an extra good job. in the height of winter works very well for a quick "no touch" wash without spending ages outdoors. I spray it on dry though.