ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snow Chains

yeh its the law on most of the continent. you just buy them by the wheel diameter, so shouldnt have any issues

Clio 200
I think you can buy them from renault, Think i seen it in the accessory brochure, Although knowing renault they'll be ridiculously dear.

172clio,205 GTI,MR2 turbo
Google "klack n go". These are a very good snow chain. Come in all types for a variety of conditions. Their snow sock seems very interesting and will not damage your wheels.

Titanium 182
Whack some steel wheels on first. If you're going into the Austrian alps in Feb you will need them at some point.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I've just come back from the french alps, now there was some snow! to be fair you drive through, the issue i had was ride height, car turned into a plough on coilovers lol, there were a few places that sold these fabric snow chains that claim to be just as good without damage to the alloy, £50 for a pair though

05 182 clio.ktm duke
I'm sure that the Clio Sport handbook says that snow chains can't be used on the sport as not enough room under the arches. I looked at getting chains 3 years ago when I drove my Clio down to Austria in winter, I will never do that again as it scared the poo out of me with the Clio sliding all over the place.

A ANIMAL
I've just come back from the french alps, now there was some snow! to be fair you drive through, the issue i had was ride height, car turned into a plough on coilovers lol, there were a few places that sold these fabric snow chains that claim to be just as good without damage to the alloy, £50 for a pair though

I dont think "snow socks" are legal though?

A ANIMAL
I'm sure that the Clio Sport handbook says that snow chains can't be used on the sport as not enough room under the arches. I looked at getting chains 3 years ago when I drove my Clio down to Austria in winter, I will never do that again as it scared the poo out of me with the Clio sliding all over the place.

Gay, i'll have a good browse later, unless anyone can confirm this?

A ANIMAL
If i buy some cheap stellies - say 15" set, and put chains on those, that would give me enough clearence from the arch without marking my alloys, right?

Titanium 182
Personally I'd just get a set of 15" steelies with winter tyres on them and keep a cheap set of snow chains in the car. Can always sell the tyres and steels when you get home if you want.

A ANIMAL
Personally I'd just get a set of 15" steelies with winter tyres on them and keep a cheap set of snow chains in the car. Can always sell the tyres and steels when you get home if you want.
CBA to fork out for winter tyres. I'd rather just have chains fitted to a couple of cheap steelies and chuck em on if required

As per Aluco's post IMO. Winter tyres are a legal requirement in Austria AFAIK, and also in Germany where you'll be spending a lot of time on the roads. I gambled it and wished I hadn't. Luckily I didn't get stopped by da Police.

Been there and done it. If I was driving across the continent in these conditions, tomorrow, I'd be getting some winter tyres fitted before I departed, and a set of chains in the boot.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=474479 ;)

A ANIMAL
Quick bump, i can't finad an answer anywhere!!

Will going down a wheel size give enough clearence for snow chains, or is it the clearence from the suspension that is an issue.

Any guesses welcome.

xx

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
Quick bump, i can't finad an answer anywhere!!

Will going down a wheel size give enough clearence for snow chains, or is it the clearence from the suspension that is an issue.

Any guesses welcome.

xx

Go down a wheel size and one tyre width at least..

they sell them in france for around 18 euro in the carrefour markets ( easy to find one) they also sell the michelin ones for about 50 euro iirc and they sell them in the service stations

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
my dad was asking me how much they are now, few year ago they were about £40 retail but now theyve jumped up a great deal. i was lokoing for a set. are they still worth getting for my clio?

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
I used to rent out snow chains when i worked in a ski shop, we stocked chains from here "http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm". We had standard, 13mm iirc and a lower profile 9mm. I didn't have an RS at the time so never fitted them but i'd be concerned about cheaper chains fouling/destroying the arches on full lock.

My vote would be for 15" steelies, 185 snow tyres, cheap chains in the boot for the po-po

197 Albi Blue
I had to get some chains for the 197 and was struggleing to find any that would fit so drove down to www.snowchains.co.uk's base down in kent. They got a series of different types of chain out from the warehouse until we found a set that had enough clearence within the arch and around the suspension

I have got a set called "clack & go pro-tech which have a really thin chain which allows clearence around the arch even with the wheels on full lock. Also got a system on it which means no part of the chain comes in contact with the alloy so no damage can be caused

I used to rent out snow chains when i worked in a ski shop, we stocked chains from here "http://www.snowchains.co.uk/index.htm". We had standard, 13mm iirc and a lower profile 9mm. I didn't have an RS at the time so never fitted them but i'd be concerned about cheaper chains fouling/destroying the arches on full lock.

My vote would be for 15" steelies, 185 snow tyres, cheap chains in the boot for the po-po

Hi all,

I'm looking to put 15" steelies, 185 snow tyres on my 182, first question is do they fit?
Secondly any advice on where to get them, after spending some time trying to get some winters size 205/45/16 almost given up.

Thanks