ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapping Wheel Nuts

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Righto, not really a clio question, as my motor is a 19 16v, but they both share the same stable, so here goes....Has anyone else snapped multiple wheel nuts when doing them up? Im not applying hugh leverage, but the heads just twist off! Its costing me a fortune getting them drilled out.
To this affect does any one have 12 wheel nuts they dont need? I can pay....I want to replace all of mine and i think they are too weak....
Cheers Tom.

Lionel Richie
yep its due to the s**t floating collar bolts, they strech and then snap

go to renault and order wheel bolts off a 1.2 16V clio, they're solid 1 piece

valvers and williams have the floating collar type and they're crap, my V6 has them too, they're going in the bin!

Lionel Richie
no need to drill them out mate, get a hammer and a punch and tap them round until you can unscrew the remainder with your fingers, saves paying people to do them!

Valver
Sometimes I use a 2 metre pole to do up the nuts (don't ask y) but never had any problems with the nuts...

Best option is go to a scrappy and pocket a few to be honest ;) would cost you a fair bit to buy 16 new ones!

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Thankyou so much!! I wanted to confirm it was the nuts and not my super strenght before I replaced them all.....Still if any one has any solid nuts they want to rid themselves of let me know, and I will take them!!

S2000
lol, I went to renault last night to get some wheel nuts and they tried to charge £7 per nut. Genuinely thought the guy was taking the piss at first.

Clio 172 mk2
Sometimes I use a 2 metre pole to do up the nuts (don't ask y) but never had any problems with the nuts...

Best option is go to a scrappy and pocket a few to be honest ;) would cost you a fair bit to buy 16 new ones!

2 metre pole :eek: ......that must give you some leverage!

1.6 16v clio priv
I have 12 . You wanna collect them (Derbyshire) or you wanna have them mailed.

Personally I'd use the excuse to buy some nice alloys. My TSW freezes came with some descent bolts (hence the spares)

You want them pm me

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Chhris, are you the same Chris from renault19.com? Blast from the past if you are ...!

no need to drill them out mate, get a hammer and a punch and tap them round until you can unscrew the remainder with your fingers, saves paying people to do them!

yup.. it happened to me 2weeks ago. and thats what we did to get the fooker out.. took 5mins :)

Clio 172 mk2
Good cars 19s, I used to have a black Saloon one with full leather interior...wish I'd kept it now:(

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
Ive had mine for almost 5 years now, its still only done 72000 miles!! Its starting to go to pot, with a few bits of rust etc, but its been reliable (touch wood) and for past year its been a proper family wagon...