ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoothed airbox, anyone tried it?

Megane 225 Cup
they all do this on the seat forums

remember turbos need lots more flow so the intake us an important part so smoothing will help

ValverInBits
Secondly CFD is something I work with on a daily basis - small simple example:

Simulating the V6 airbox is something that I have not considered but I will do. We saw the physical results on the pressure drop between the standard airbox & the V6 using the map load data, I will simulate it and compare the theoretical pressure differences with the recorded - will that satisfy you ;)

You ever done any validation work on FloWorks? It's so far out it's unreal. It will roughly show relative benefits of changes made, but actual figures are not worth looking at for most simulations.

I never take the numbers for gospel as a simulation can never attain overly accurate real-world figures. Its more of a supporting tool, one of many so to speak.

Tom what CFD package are you using? (not relevant to this thread just trying to find a good one for uni)

^ i'd also like to know this please

Solidworks in that case, but also implement ANSYS software, Pro-engineer & a CFdesign plugin.

Last edited:
  RS RIP
Forget the smoothening of the square...
V6 box mounted like this; i've tried a lot of things down the induction route but this is a winner!! costs were a laugh too

18092009001.jpg

Clio 172 RS2
Its all in their heads!! If u do something ur going to be convinced in ur own head its better!

I also don't see the benefits on a force fed engine.
Turbo... VAG... aah chiptuned Diesels! :dead:

Throttle response? Sounds more like turbo lag! :rasp:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Solidworks in that case, but also implement ANSYS software, Pro-engineer & a CFdesign plugin.

It did look familiar although you obviously have far more patients than me with regards to the drawing. Some of the things on Solidworks drive me insane! Using it for a project at the mo and its making something that should be very simple annoyingly difficult!

Has anyone used Fluent, if so is it any good?

Last edited:
  2002 Clio 172
I used Fluent for a CFD project in my final year and its ok. But as I am pretty sure you need to use an external meshing programme (in my case I think it was called gambit) as Fluent is just a solver.

Also I am surprised you are struggling with SolidWorks, it really is quite powerful, and very easy to use, if its something you are doing at uni then I cant imagine you are pushing it into its weaker area, which seems to be large files.

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Is it FLOTRAN that I am seeing :) I had the plenum EDM sectioned and fully ported and polished the inner channels. I was able to increase the manifold pressure but hell of a lot job to do, plus expensive TIG welding of Al.

Problem is there are so many contradictions. Sure, on the road - but people need results, figures, graphs before committing to a product. Telling them it 'feels' good is just no good.

Secondly CFD is something I work with on a daily basis - small simple example:

Simulating the V6 airbox is something that I have not considered but I will do. We saw the physical results on the pressure drop between the standard airbox & the V6 using the map load data, I will simulate it and compare the theoretical pressure differences with the recorded - will that satisfy you ;)

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
It is quite powerful for coupled mechanical analysis, though I have no interest in implicit solution. Everything explicit, hell yeah I am there, LS-DYNA for all these, impact and crash analysis.

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Forget the smoothening of the square...
V6 box mounted like this; i've tried a lot of things down the induction route but this is a winner!! costs were a laugh too

18092009001.jpg

Hi Frank,

Looks really neat and effective, this is something that I thought about but battery in trunk does not seem to be OK for me.