ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smokey Exhaust When Accelorate

1.1 Clio
I have a 2002 1.1 petrol clio and when i accelorate i get some smoke from my exhaust. Does anyone know what this could be and is it anything bad?

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
It's fine, mine did that, every time you put your foot down White smoke/steam appeared, it's just the hot air coming out the exhaust and hitting the cold air.

Clio 182
Probably booting it when it's cold, plus it's cold outside. Although could be a leaking head gasket mate.

Lotus Elise
Mine does this but it is due to the fact that the exhaust us Fubar. So water condensates inside it after I park up and all the steam is the water evaporating and being forced out by the engine gases.

Clio 182
Hmm couldn't tell you mate. Open the oil cap, if it looks milky it's a headgasket issue. if it dosent then probably just cold weather and steam from the exhaust fumes.

1.1 Clio
Hmm couldn't tell you mate. Open the oil cap, if it looks milky it's a headgasket issue. if it dosent then probably just cold weather and steam from the exhaust fumes.

Oil was a bit milky when i looked last weekend but i just wiped it with kitchen roll. If i check again when i get home and there is white stuff by the oil cap should i get the head gasket looked at or just leave it?:dapprove:If the oils not milky then it is probably just steam.

Clio 182
That's definitely a head gasket problem mate. Yeah you should get it in to get sorted asap. if you drive it long distance it can end up overheating.

Al.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
That's definitely a head gasket problem mate. Yeah you should get it in to get sorted asap. if you drive it long distance it can end up overheating.

Al.

I think the lower engined clios get some type of milky residue from doing short journeys a lot may not mean head gasket issues, could be wrong though

Stripped yozza'd cup

Al.

Do not listen to this guy ^^
It's almost certainly not your head gasket. Condensation builds up if you're doing a lot of short journeys from cold.
White 'smoke' is normal at this time of year. Just a consequence of hot gasses and cold, damp outside temperatures.