ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoked rear lights

Megane R26 F1 #1931
I'm going to buy some new rear lights for my car and because it's black, i was going to go for the smoked rear lights. The website says they are full legal but one of my mates got pulled the other day for his smoked lights because they were apparently illegal.

Just wondered if anyone knows?

cheers

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
depends really mate. some cops can be just be dickheads at times. i've had my black ones for just over a year and had no problems at all!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
what do you mean by smoked rear lights,
there are legal examples: http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2004

mine arnt so legal unfortunatly,

if you live in range of essexracing,
then smoked lights like mine are a bad idea,

also essexracing is a bad idea,
badly made trife from there,

i live in essex, and have smoked rear lights,
been told to get them off 3 times now,
had them under a year,

looking to get rid of them in the next couple of days

Last edited:
  A few
if you live in range of essexracing,
then smoked lights are a bad idea,

also essexracing is a bad idea,
badly made trife from there,

i live in essex, and have smoked rear lights,
been told to get them off 3 times now,
had them under a year,

looking to get rid of them in the next couple of days

Which ones do you have on mate? The same ones that are in the link?

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
sorry bud, wasn't too clear. was aimed at whoever was looking for a set? i've got a set on my ph1 and (i think/hope) there the legal ones.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol thought so, sorry,

are they solid black??
as long as you can see the light, and the reflector through them, theyre legal,

basically, any home made jobs are illegal,

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
naa they were bought mate. heres a pic -

dsc00335cz2.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i would have thought theyd be legal,
youll be able to see the light properly through that,

mine are not so easy :S

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
aye ye can see the lights no problem. lol...not too worry mate, be away soon :rasp: a might have ph2 rears for sale soon. let me know if your interested sir.

right guys, the law states that all cars rear lights have to have a clearly visible reflector in them. this is to allow cars to be seen from the rear at night when parked up with no lights on etc.

if you tint your rear lights to the extent that the reflector does not function (ie they are deemed unfit for use at night) then you will get pulled, given £60 fine and 3 points on your license.

this is why people who smoke lights sometimes leave a square at the bottom on clios, ie where the reflector is on most models.

mine are smoked, but i do not have a problem as the reflector is still very easily detectable;

IMG_0378-1.gif

jamie

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
right guys, the law states that all cars rear lights have to have a clearly visible reflector in them. this is to allow cars to be seen from the rear at night when parked up with no lights on etc.

if you tint your rear lights to the extent that the reflector does not function (ie they are deemed unfit for use at night) then you will get pulled, given £60 fine and 3 points on your license.

this is why people who smoke lights sometimes leave a square at the bottom on clios, ie where the reflector is on most models.

mine are smoked, but i do not have a problem as the reflector is still very easily detectable;

IMG_0378-1.gif

jamie

just to add,
mine are an example of lights that are deemed unfit to use at night,

but your more likely to get a vehicle defect notice, £30 fine and need to get an mot station to stamp that its been fixed,

thats what my mate got for his lights

^^^^ correct but tollerence on things like tints and non standard lighting etc has been massively decreased throughout most of the UK now. you are more likely to be given the full strong handede approach.

jamie

Whats wrong with standard phase 2 lights ?? With silvervisoon bulbs etc ??:S

They look loads better then tacky sprayed up lights :dead:

Whats wrong with standard phase 2 lights ?? With silvervisoon bulbs etc ??:S

They look loads better then tacky sprayed up lights :dead:
Perhaps he fancies a change? I get the impression he's doing it to match the theme of his car...

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
I had seen these which looked like they weer slightly smoked as standard
b6e1b97c3336364e0a1e76ee870c588c.jpg

the above is the product shot is what is used on all the websites, but i found another website that take their own photos and it actually looks like this and not tinted at all!

AFX-CLIO2-BL.jpg