ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoked by a 106 GTi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone mention my name???

I'm definately up for a meet, would be a good comparison, martin and monkey bring the video cam and we'll set it up, on a private runway of course?

Dannyt aka fastest 1.8 in the west

fUbAr said:
My 172 is slow as sh*t. Its the slowest car ive ever owned.

Are you going to argue with me too TheJesus?

Grow up chap :dead:

no, who are you?

i think not having a MK2 let alone a Williams offends you lot on here pmsl.

Saxo VTS
SOHROB said:
the mythical 130 bhp model !!! as said b4 you get gud and bad uns but there wasnt a 130 bhp model and i dont believe a vts 2 up would pull on a 172 1 up either

The 130bhp did exist. It came out early 2000. Due to stricter EU Emissions laws, the cars lost performance hence Citroen upping the power of the VTS to 130 to compensate. In early 2000 I believe these laws were not into play. As far I am aware, Citroen placed these engines in the W Reg VTS (Mine was an April 2000). Of which i had one. When the Law came into force, the car was then back at the 120bhp.

I now have a 2003 VTS and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

Mike_SE was in my VTS at the time. Rolling start in second first time and my mate in the 172 hit the limiter in second and I pulled away (obviously). Then from a standing start i was pulling away as I hit second. Then stopped accelerating at about 65ish.

And no I don't think a VTS will "run down" a 172. It will keep up from a standing start to 60-70 with the 172 pulling away. Which is what I would expect a 106 GTi to do also.....

One big difference between the VTS and 172 I have noticed. When three up you can feel the 172 still pulling, in mine it feels lethargic and unresponsive....

Last edited:
  Polo GTi
Mark_VTS said:
And no I don't think a VTS will "run down" a 172. It will keep up from a standing start to 60-70 with the 172 pulling away. Which is what I would expect a 106 GTi to do also.....

One big difference between the VTS and 172 I have noticed. When three up you can feel the 172 still pulling, in mine it feels lethargic and unresponsive....

This is what I was saying 3rd gear onwards a 106Gti will loose ground to a 172, no idea about the Saxos, I don't know anyone who has one.

The 8.4 to 60 on the GTI compared to the VTS`s 7.4 is bull, these are basicly the same car though the gti is ever so so slightly heavyer but makes no difference in the real world, the engine out-puts on these cars vary quite alot, early ones usually see 120bhp and the laterspec ones usually 130bhp+ as there were a few tweeks on the newer engines including a different ecu with added sensors that you would conly see if you were to look at them side by side, there are a few freak engines though that seem to be quicker than most.
I`ve never driven a valver or races one for that matter but i would expect them to be pretty even, the gti though a quick car is easily slowed down, ask any1 who has a gti or vts, put a passengar in and you can really notice the weight difference holding it back nevermind with 17"`s added into the mix, It will respend well however to mods like the supersprint manifold, enclosed i/d kit and sports exhaust, with these you are usually seeing 140bhp+ but torque usually still quite low.

By my estimates a standard valver in factory condition would have been slightly quicker, but most now are showing there age and if not looked after well or suffereing from engine faults are gonna be a fair few horses down on what they used to be so arn`t going to perform well, so get that engine looked at.

Nimbus Clio 197
SOHROB said:
the mythical 130 bhp model !!! as said b4 you get gud and bad uns but there wasnt a 130 bhp model and i dont believe a vts 2 up would pull on a 172 1 up either

sorry mate, but i saw it with my own eyes! the VTS and 106 are quick and obviously underestimated on here.......

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Personally i think that people should only comment on such things if they have experience through driving the 106gti and savo vts.

I have had the pleasure of owning 2 x 106 gti's and a 306 Rallye previous to the 182, and to be perfectly honest they are all brilliant cars :approve:

Speed wise, if you can notice 0.2 of a second to 60 then you are a man greater than i, when 'racing' many factors count, a slightly duff gearchange with scupper either parties chances of 'winning' for example.

Fact is, they're all great cars. Why argue about it.

Also i asked about valver 1/4 times! no one answered?!

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
whey clio 182 with pipercorss induction kit.i can get it 0-60 in 6 secs kicking out 200bhp

hey i have a liquid yellow clio 182 with pipercross induction,just wonderin whther there is any1 on here who has fitted an induction kit to a 182

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Sir_Dave said:
Personally i think that people should only comment on such things if they have experience through driving the 106gti and savo vts.

I have had the pleasure of owning 2 x 106 gti's and a 306 Rallye previous to the 182, and to be perfectly honest they are all brilliant cars :approve:

Speed wise, if you can notice 0.2 of a second to 60 then you are a man greater than i, when 'racing' many factors count, a slightly duff gearchange with scupper either parties chances of 'winning' for example.

Totally agree, and very fair comment like your self ive had the great plesure of owning 3 106's and still have 1 of them, and the fact is there both great cars, one major factor of it all aswell is knowing your car, knowing when to change gear, and not missing gears or having a bad up change when driving hard.... but any1 who puts the 106 down all's i can say is own 1 for 2 weeks and your views will change they are brilliant

sorry my younger brother was using this,hes 17 and hasnt got a clue,
lol
i can feel a little difference with the induction kit
has any1 else fitted an induction cuz was wonderin how theres performed

VaVa
Good uns and bad uns. Sums it up.

I could pull a good distance on my mates missus' Gti ( was Yellow though so slower ;) )

Had a blast against a VTS ( I was 2 up and boot full of sh*te,car was cold too :eek: ) and I didn't pull anything noticeable on him below 100.

They're very capable little cars and thier light weight and decent gearing means they shift a little bit quicker than people expect. Handle nicely too.:approve:

cheers mate,
i know i just wanted the yellow to be different,
im waiting to race someone in it to see how it goes,

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Sir_Dave said:

Well said mate, obviously 106's are never going to go down well on a clio site, i'm gutted about having to sell my GTI as idiots keep breaking into it, they are great fun cars to drive like 172's,182's, 16v's etc etc

Snotter's
There was never an official 130 bhp model,you get some early and late cars that push out more than the quoted 120 bhp,overall the 172 is quicker

Nimbus Clio 197
"as a car"? lol

what are u basing this on? my mates VTS is just as quick as my other mates 172. Im basing this on what i have seen and experienced. I have a 172 Cup so why would i make it up?!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Mine.

Yummy
P4230023.gif

Yummy
P4230030.gif

Yummy
TheEnd.gif

Yummy
FrontWheel.gif

They were all brilliant!:D

Nimbus Clio 197
i still say its a lot to do with the driver, but i aint arguing anymore, coz it doesnt really matter! lol Dave, i dont usually like yellow cars but that 106 looks sweet mate

Clio 182 Trophy no. 235
Mark_VTS said:
The 130bhp did exist. It came out early 2000. Due to stricter EU Emissions laws, the cars lost performance hence Citroen upping the power of the VTS to 130 to compensate. In early 2000 I believe these laws were not into play. As far I am aware, Citroen placed these engines in the W Reg VTS (Mine was an April 2000). Of which i had one. When the Law came into force, the car was then back at the 120bhp.

I now have a 2003 VTS and there is a noticeable difference between the two.

Mike_SE was in my VTS at the time. Rolling start in second first time and my mate in the 172 hit the limiter in second and I pulled away (obviously). Then from a standing start i was pulling away as I hit second. Then stopped accelerating at about 65ish.

I've heard all that before and think its bull - My last car was a W Reg 2000 (March) VTS with the supposed mounting plates for the emissisons rectriction component on the block (I have never seen any pictures of newer models with this component fitted, so i dont know what it actually looks like. Only heard in forums on the web) and mine RR'd at 120.3bhp at 44,000 miles with a Magnex back box and a panel filter.

With regards to the VTS / GTi being quicker than a 172 I find it difficult to tell between my old VTS and my 182 in terms of 0-60 even maybe to 80 I would imagine above those speeds it would be a different story. I put this down to the VTS being extremely light more so than a 172.

Last edited:
  Nimbus Clio 197
SOHROB said:
It does i agree but im simply stating that the 172 is faster than a 106 gti

yes, i am aware of what you are stating mate. just coz you are stating it though, doesnt make it correct.

Nimbus Clio 197
"With regards to the VTS / GTi being quicker than a 172 I find it difficult to tell between my old VTS and my 182 in terms of 0-60 even maybe to 80 I would imagine above those speeds it would be a different story. I put this down to the VTS being extremely light more so than a 172"

exactly.

MINI JCW
SOHROB said:
It does i agree but im simply stating that the 172 is faster than a 106 gti

Agree totally, the 172/182 is faster than a VTS/GTI, whether that be 0-60, 0-100, 30-70 or top speed its faster simple as that

They are capable little cars though and much like the 172/182 they punch way above their weight

Status
Not open for further replies.