ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

smoke/steam coming out of the bonnet - HELP!

Ph2 Flamer
Right, just pulled up at a roundabout and notice what I thought was the car in fronts exhaust fumes coming up the front of the car, then realise it's coming from under the hood. No warning lights on the dash and the engine temp is pretty much dead centre i.e. half way. Got it home with no issues, still driving sweet. Popped the hood with the engine running and there is this grey whispy smoke coming up from somewhere in the engine. It smells pretty horrible, quite acrid. Smoke was coming up from both sides of the bay and doesn't smell like exhaust gas.

Now last Thursday I was driving along for about 3mins and the engine management light and stop sign came on, stopped it pronto and noticed the radiator fan was going for a long time after I turned the ignition off and on checking the coolant reservoir which looked like it was half full it was in fact empty. Popped into Halfrauds and bought a couple of litres of bright pink coolant. Have done about 35 miles since then with no bother. Today the coolant level is well down below minimum again.

Sooo what I think has happened is one of the coolant pipes or the rad has sprung a smallish leak and the smoke is the coolant evapourating on the hot bits in the engine.

Has anyone had anything similar and does my initial diagnosis sound about right?.

Ph2 Flamer
Oo err don't want it to be the head gasket. I did have a new cam aux and dephaser a couple of months back so wonder if something could have been knocked. Had air con removed as well. its only this last week things have started going iffy though.

Ph2 Flamer
So if it was the water pump how can I check? Engine isn't showing a high temp when driving it about so I'm still thinking / hoping its a leaky coolant pipe. Will try topping up the coolant and see if its dripping out anywhere

As fletcher said head gasket on these cars is very rare. Considering you are loosing coolant id be looking for a leak like you said.

330 Ci
I had exactly this recently!

Turned out to be a dieing radiator, whenever i stood still in traffic steam would come out from under the bonnet (and it was drinking coolant) :s

I've also had a waterpump go on my old 182 which left gunk in the coolant header (worrying) bu obviously nothing in the oil.

Headgaskets are rare on these, really wouldn't think it was that - you could get the system pressure tested, or just jack it up - run it until the thermostat opens and see where its coming from??

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers guys will take a look tomorrow assuming its dry. hope its just a rad and nowt expensive

Ph2 Flamer
whats a sensible price to pay for a new rad then? Some going for upwards of £60 on fleabay. Seems steep.
Also am i right in thinking same rad fits all the 1*2's full fat and cup?