ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoke over 5.5k revs

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Right, i have noticed that when i floor it once the engine gets over 5.5k revs in any gear, smoke starts to pour out the exhaust. So much so that you cant even see out the rear window. Once i come off the pedal, it completely disappears but leaves the rear window soaking wet.

The smoke is not dark by any means, its very light and i cant smell anything in the car. It doesnt do it any other time that i can see other than with the pedal to the floor and over 5.5k.

Any ideas what this can be???

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Assuming its not losing coolant rings is a good guess but you say the rear screen is getting wet so it sounds like the bores are pushing water out to me - check coolant level and report back.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I would say, not smoke, but steam.
Condensation mate from water being burnt off as steam that has settled in the tailpipes of the exhaust.
Mine exactly same and I have a RB182cup.:cool:

You will most probably find that this happens a hell of a lot less in the warmer weather.

Laguna sport tourer
are you sure its not the normal- 'rear boxes full of water syndrone'
oh darng beaten to it lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Smoke will probably be black (over fuelling).

Steam will be white, more prominent in the cold and wet as mentioned !

Reversing off my driveway in the morning in the scoob is a nightmare. I just use the force TBH. Can't see fo' sh*t.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Right steam from water sitting in the rear boxes sounds to me like a logical answer since it is really light and not at all dark. It doesn't linger either if you know what I mean. But why does it only happen above 5.5k revs??

Mine does this, I asked before and was told its basically water in the exhaust. If you drive for an hour or so you can clear it all out but it will be the same in a couple of days with this shitty weather.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Right steam from water sitting in the rear boxes sounds to me like a logical answer since it is really light and not at all dark. It doesn't linger either if you know what I mean. But why does it only happen above 5.5k revs??

Velocity + temperature of exhaust gases at higher engine speeds perhaps ?

Combustion leads to a range of gases being expelled from the cylinder, including H2O as steam. If you're just pootling about, the steam will condense in the back boxes as they are cool relative to the first section of the exhaust, especially so at this time of year when it's <5C ambient.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
Cool, cheers for the help guys. Sounds like there's nothing to worry about then. Phew. Would you still get this with an after market exhaust system.