ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoke from horn press on aftermarket steering wheel.

Trophy 459
Hi just fitted a sparco wheel with a momo boss have pluged the airbag light in,red to 1 conector and black to the other.
Now fitted the horn wires checked all was ok and working pushed it into the wheel and smoke started coming from it pulled it out and the red wire had melted!!

So does this mean the metal spring clip that goes round the horn is earthing out on the wheel now i have no horn the fuse is ok,any help on this.

Mine did the same, I don't use that ring that came with it.... I don't actually know what its used for.

When you press down the horn it touches (you should see a little burn mark on it now) that will be what smoked if it's the same as what happened to me.

182 cup
this happened to mine too, melted the back of the switch completely!

had to disconnect the horn in the end so now dont have one!

will be putting the standard wheel back on after oulton park so i can have the horn and airbag again.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Does the horn sound ok? If it sounds wrong, then you've reversed the polarities. If it sounds ok, then the contacts are touching the metal ring, I sorted it by wrapping all exposed parts in electrical tape.