ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoke from behind the steering wheel!?

mk3 clio
ye basically what the title says.. I was driving and behind my steering wheel smoke started to come from it!.

My stereo stopped working and the information on the dashboard were my clock and temperature are stopped working aswell.

I then noticed I couldnt turn my wind wipers down, it was sticking and couldny move it.

I was lefted with a nasty smoking smell in my car.

has this happened to anyone else on here?

how do I fix this lol

CursedTitanium 182FF
Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel fitted? If so, the horn wiring may have shorted.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Does it look like this?
IMG_0023.jpg

Or this?
CLIO_017.jpg

CursedTitanium 182FF
Unsure then, looks like you will need to get the steering wheel and shroud off and check the wiring for faults. If you have that much smoke you will probably need new wiring any way.

Clio mk3 1.2
I had same problem last week.
This problem is usual on this model, probably because original parts are with factory faults.
Transient resistance between the two circuit boards is too high because of sliding contacts and leads to the melting plate.
You must replace whole switch (in my case with audio control), what I had done.

mk3 clio
I had same problem last week.
This problem is usual on this model, probably because original parts are with factory faults.
Transient resistance between the two circuit boards is too high because of sliding contacts and leads to the melting plate.
You must replace whole switch (in my case with audio control), what I had done.[/QUO

ok thanks did this solve the problem for you?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
My horn shorted out when I was putting my after market steering wheel on. MASSIVE flames. I couldn't get the wheel off though as one bolt was half in place. To be honest I did worry quite a lot! The only damage was the wiring for the horn doesn't exist anymore from the wheel to the top of the steering column / ancillary stalks. No blown fuses or anything which I am surprised at. For about 10 seconds I did think the car was going up in flames.

Had the same exp as above. Off to work (aftermarket steering wheel). Heavy smoke and noise from the horn. Pulled over and switched engine off. Shorted/melted horn wiring. Lucky no flames. Also surprised the horn fuse didn't do its job.

clio 197
I have had the same problem with my 197, it was the circuit board for the windscreen wipers stalk. I had to buy the indicator stalk aswell as the wiper stalk as renault don't sell them separately.

197 Cup
I have had the same problem with my 197, it was the circuit board for the windscreen wipers stalk. I had to buy the indicator stalk aswell as the wiper stalk as renault don't sell them separately.
This just happened to me this morning... Car is at the garage arm but won't get looked at till Monday. How much was the parts?

197 Cup
Was that all in? I will find out hopefully Monday if that is what's gone wrong on mine.
Cheers mate