ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smashed up my MBP.

Well not smashed up, exactly. Fell arse over tit on ice yesterday while carrying my bag into work. The end result is a nice dent in the lid (where I landed on the bag no doubt).

Still functional but needs a new lid. What's it likely to set me back? Screen is ok.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
how old is it?? apple will prob replace it free of charge if its in warrantee

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
lol, they wont

Would you expect your car to be fixed under warranty if you stoved it into a wall?

A couple of months I think. It still works fine. Just battered to f**k. It's only my business 13" anyway so I'm not crying over it. Shame though. I was just wondering how much it's likely to cost to replace the lid...if the lid can be replaced without changing the screen.

Ford Focus ST2
have my lid replaced under apple care (fault with the screen) and the apple guy told me it would cost over £600 for a new clamshell (which is the screen and lid) as i was told you cant get a genuine apple lid on its own!

Could be worse....

Here's one that was returned by one of the managers:

IMG00103-20100512-1322.jpg

Took a trip down a set of stairs apparently.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL

My Macbooks got a couple of dings on it, they don't matter so it doesn't bother me.

A red missile
And theres me thinking the follow up was going to be .....and bought an Alienware ;)

Yes I know I'm a front bottom Roy, anyhoo, had a quick nose around and the only place I could find a unibody they were talking £500 and listed as out of stock.

I'll talk to the systems monkeys at work tomorrow, we have a lot of mac stuff so I'm sure they've had similar type incidents and might know where to get hold of one and how much etc.

You never know, the useless f*****s might actually come up trumps for once, i'll post up on this thread tomorrow from work if they come up with anything worthwhile.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trip fall in the house, alas ze house insurance. :eek:

Citroen DS3 DSport
I had the lid and screen replaced under warranty on my 13" MBP and I think the invoice said it would have cost me just under £400.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Put a gela skin on it. Did it with my dell i dented. Jobs a goodun and looks cool AND is £15.

A red missile
Royston, spoke to our guys today and they use a site called ifixit.com for random mac bits, it's based in the states but it's the most reliable place they've found.

Hope it helps bud.
x

Cheers Lord, I'll check that out in due course. A skin isn't gonna fix it. It's proper dented. Surprised the panel isn't toast TBH.

Dan, with respect, STFU.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Found this today: http://www.myservice.com/cases.html

Its US based, but $199 for a display case fitted, wouldn't be unreasonable to think a authorised repair centre over here (i.e not official apple, but authorised place you can find on the apple site) would do it for around the £200 mark?

Now Sold :-(
My unibody MacBook survived totally unmarked following a seven month tour of the USA. Back home less than a week and managed to drop an empty mug on to the closed lid. My mac now sports a beautiful curved dent in the top of the clam shell. No problems with the screen so just see it as a battle scar that makes it unique.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
First the Volvo, now this. You're not getting on very well in the ice are you Roy. :(

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It's funny because he's old.

Be honest, did you dent it because you tried to power it with a traction engine and it fell off?

Cheers but it looks like the whole chassis is bent. I've since noticed that there's a dent/crease protruding outwards on the underside, so a proper fix would mean an entire new unibody. Seems like it took a proper pounding. Probably a testament to the quality that it's still 100% functional. A lesser machine would probably have cracked it's Airfix chassis ;)

I've decided I'll just leave it as it is and probably get a new one when they are updated. Especially if they make resolution upgrades to the next models, which they surely will.

SLK 350
Shame, I had a play with one, fell in love immediately. I think you can get adapters for them RE ethernet.

May get the 11" myself when my VAIO dies.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Cheers but it looks like the whole chassis is bent. I've since noticed that there's a dent/crease protruding outwards on the underside, so a proper fix would mean an entire new unibody. Seems like it took a proper pounding. Probably a testament to the quality that it's still 100% functional. A lesser machine would probably have cracked it's Airfix chassis ;)

I've decided I'll just leave it as it is and probably get a new one when they are updated. Especially if they make resolution upgrades to the next models, which they surely will.

Might be worth checking out the House hold cover you have, ours covers laptops etc and it obviously happened at home ;)

they definitely sound solid though, cant think of many laptops that will take an impact like that and have a working screen after

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Just in case you were wondering, a new Unibody top case is £127. The LCD lids are sold as one unit from Apple, but you can buy the lids separately. They're ~£150.

To have Apple replace the display assembly, it's £395 fitted.

Most places will charge around £100 to fit all that.

I was about to do the same, but then my iSight packed up and Apple replaced it all for free for me.