ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small problem - Feels like ABS is kicking in low speed braking?

Monaco Blue 172
Picked up a 172 this week, pretty much perfect, but there's a small kick back in the brake pedal at low speeds when braking.

Feels a bit like ABS, but no lights coming on dashboard?

Any thoughts welcome...

Probably a cracked ABS ring. Take wheels off and inspect with a torch.

Common problem on Clios & symptoms (including lack of lights on dash) exactly as described. To double check pull the ABS fuse out (fusebox on side of dash by passenger door.) Don't go round slamming the brakes on as you'll now have 50:50 brake bias (it's controlled electronically-ish hence no ABS fuse = no ABS computer = no brake biasing) but it's ok to crawl around braking gently from 10mph. I suspect you'll pull the fuse and find it magically stops.

ABS rings are around £5-£15 depending on model. Some come off easily making it literally a 30min DIY job, others are a pain to get off. Besides the usual tools you'll need a 30mm socket and big breaker bar for the hub nut and (if you're precise) a 280 Nm (front, rears are less) torque wrench

Monaco Blue 172
Superb, i'll order all four, may as well get them all done, if one goes, they're all bound to go in the not too distant future.

Appreciate your help <thumbup>

Many.
Check the amount of teeth too. Can get the wrong amount of teeth and that'd cause same issue.

Monaco Blue 172
I've ordered them from ukpartsdirect, they're only a tenner a piece, just the fitting to do now!