ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slow electric windows

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My passenger window is slow anyway but is VERY slow when using drivers side switch?

Any easy & cheap fix for this?

Mines the exact same! A bugger innit, youd expect the driver and passenger motors to be exactly the same, and hence take the same time to wind up/down if you press both buttons at the same time! Bu ttheres always a big delay after the driver ones finsihed for the passenger window to chug on up or down! Typical Renault electrics is the name of the problem Im afraid!

trabant,

Its sumthink to do with physics, like your right arm is always stronger then then your left arm for sum reason.

Hmm, the centrifugal force generated while doing donuts might counteract against this cyclical earth rotational force and even things out?? So th eonly way to get the window motors to work at the same speed is to pull donuts...

LMAO!

i have too much hair, need it cut....maybe that and the mixture of gel and the bottle of whine sitting nxt to me is........i forgot what i was meant to say....

Its a very common problem. Power for the passenger window travels through both switches before reaching the motor which means dirty switch contacts/door plugs on either side cause a resistance that slows it down.

Use some contact cleaner on the insides of both switches (and door plugs if you need to) seemed to sort mine out!

Quote: Originally posted by theICEman on 15 March 2003

Hmm, the centrifugal force generated while doing donuts might counteract against this cyclical earth rotational force and even things out?? So th eonly way to get the window motors to work at the same speed is to pull donuts...

But youll then be rotating on a singular vertical axis rather thant eh earths megnetic axis. which means ideally you should travel west at the same speed as the earths rotation dependant on latitude.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by Rob.S on 15 March 2003

Use some contact cleaner on the insides of both switches (and door plugs if you need to) seemed to sort mine out!
Can i just use metal polisher and a duster?

erm you could try buy youd be better off buying a can of servisol from maplin. Only a couple of quid, and it comes with one of those handy straws which would be easier to get into gaps than a duster!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

LOL at this thread.. how does it get like that..it only takes one slightly OT post and all hell break loose.

still made me chuckle and god know i can do with a laugh while im at work.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

BMS have never heard of contact cleaner!

Servisol from Maplin & ive never heard of either of them. Can i get a can of Servisol from Halfords?

Mines been like this since the car was brand new, so Im dubious that cleaning out the contacts will help the situation at all.

Ive had this problem since Ive owned mine, and if you look at the lights when you do it they dim too, so Im thinking it may be a power problem...

Im changing my battery to help my amps when I put them in, I wonder if an uprated battery will help, Ill let you know once Ive fitted it... Fingers crossed itll sort it...

That was my planned solution as well, Halfords do two types of battery for the Clio, a replacement OEM spec one and a heavier duty, deeper cycle one for only about £5-£10 extra as far as I can remember. Im thinking that will do nicely.

Im going for an Optima Yellow top, mainly cos of my amps... Hope the battery bracket can take it, or do you reckon Ill need something stronger to hold it???

The stuff you need is Servisol super 10. You can get it from http://www.maplin.co.ukhttp://www.maplin.co.uk (JP17T Switch Cleaner £2.49). Unscrew the door pockets, take the switches out of the door and pop the tops off them to spray it inside.

The thing is even if the drivers side switch is slow it might be the passenger side that needs cleaning on its off connection if that makes sense!

I dont think the Yellow Top batteries are particularly different, in terms of size and weight, from OE batteries. Also, the battery compartment/bay is quite a bit larger than the OE battery so theres room to accomodate a bigger unit. Shouldnt have any trouble if youre putting it in as a straight replacement.

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

Could your car just not need new motors?

Coz on all cars with electric windows i or my family have had theyve gone slower the longer weve owned them, hence possible wear on the motor itself???????????