ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight leak under inlet plenum bolt

BG Clio 182
Under the inlet rail itself, there are some bolts which I presume are the rocker cover bolts.

One of these is ever so slightly weeping oil. I just managed to get a spanner in and tightened it a quarter turn but didn't want to pop the bolt so have left it. No different today.

Just wondering the best option really?

Is it okay to drive it as it is? Only weeps a very minute amount tbh. Would driving it hard hurt it?

How big a deal to fix?

Thanks.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Under the inlet rail itself, there are some bolts which I presume are the rocker cover bolts.

One of these is ever so slightly weeping oil. I just managed to get a spanner in and tightened it a quarter turn but didn't want to pop the bolt so have left it. No different today.

Just wondering the best option really?

Is it okay to drive it as it is? Only weeps a very minute amount tbh. Would driving it hard hurt it?

How big a deal to fix?

Thanks.
First thing, don't tighten it up anymore! They're only m6 bolts into a aluminium head and you'll pull the threads of your not careful.

Secondly, remove the inlet and the bolts that are where the weeping is coming from. Apply some silicone sealant to the bolt and refit it. Tighten it up to the correct torque spec - 12nm *i think*.

Check it for leaks after you've run it for a few days. If it still leaks it's a rocker cover reseal unfortunately, so I'd run with it until it's howling out! Lol

BG Clio 182
First thing, don't tighten it up anymore! They're only m6 bolts into a aluminium head and you'll pull the threads of your not careful.

Secondly, remove the inlet and the bolts that are where the weeping is coming from. Apply some silicone sealant to the bolt and refit it. Tighten it up to the correct torque spec - 12nm *i think*.

Check it for leaks after you've run it for a few days. If it still leaks it's a rocker cover reseal unfortunately, so I'd run with it until it's howling out! Lol
Ah s**t lol.

It didn't feel like it snapped or anything so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Is it common for them to be fixable when they leak?

What damage will it do running it like this at the moment matey? Will it hurt it or make it blow up or anything? Will it hurt oil pressure? Lol I know nothing. Haha.

If it needs a reseal, the f**k do you do? Isn't that a huge massive job?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah s**t lol.

It didn't feel like it snapped or anything so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Is it common for them to be fixable when they leak?

What damage will it do running it like this at the moment matey? Will it hurt it or make it blow up or anything? Will it hurt oil pressure? Lol I know nothing. Haha.

If it needs a reseal, the f**k do you do? Isn't that a huge massive job?
You'll be fine mate. If it had pulled the threads, you'd know! They're quite common for this, so you should be fine with just sealing the bolt.

It won't do any damage as it is mate unless your losing that much oil your putting in s**t loads on a daily basis!

Don't worry about the other bits - oil pressure etc.

Yeah big job for a reseal as its a cambelt job first, then rocker cover off so you can reseal it.

What happens if the bolt does snap? Lol.
If the bolt snaps your into removing the rocker cover. That will need looking at quite soon as I imagine the oil will howl out the hole tbh.

BG Clio 182
You'll be fine mate. If it had pulled the threads, you'd know! They're quite common for this, so you should be fine with just sealing the bolt.

It won't do any damage as it is mate unless your losing that much oil your putting in s**t loads on a daily basis!

Don't worry about the other bits - oil pressure etc.

Yeah big job for a reseal as its a cambelt job first, then rocker cover off so you can reseal it.

If the bolt snaps your into removing the rocker cover. That will need looking at quite soon as I imagine the oil will howl out the hole tbh.
Got you.

I'll get it sorted then. Nah it didn't make any weird noises or feelings tbh. Just hope it can be done. Might take it to someone who knows what they're doing lol!

Would you get it sorted asap?

It hasn't made any noticeable difference on the dipstick if I'm honest so I think it'll be okay then for now haha.

I always worry the pressure will f**k something or whatever lol.

Be a real b*****d if that didn't fix it tbh because I've only just paid out for the belts doing : (

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Get it looked at and see if the bolt fix sorts the job out. If it doesn't then you know it's time to factor in a rocker cover reseal.

If it's not howling out you'll be fine for a good while yet mate.

BG Clio 182
Get it looked at and see if the bolt fix sorts the job out. If it doesn't then you know it's time to factor in a rocker cover reseal.

If it's not howling out you'll be fine for a good while yet mate.
No worries mate thanks

I'll probably turbo the fucker if it needs new belts [emoji41]

BG Clio 182
If you like your car problem free, dont mate, ive hardly seen my car since I had it turbo'd last November.
Been meaning to chat to you about that mate, how is it doing now?

Really have read a lot of scary s**t on turboing them but I couldn't spend another s**t load of money getting the belts done for a tiny little leaking prissy bolt without feeling it for a bigger cause lol.

Really do think no go on the turbo then? You were mad keen a bit back, is it just the engine shatting itself that put you off? Are you selling or keeping?

RB Clio 182
Been meaning to chat to you about that mate, how is it doing now?

Really have read a lot of scary s**t on turboing them but I couldn't spend another s**t load of money getting the belts done for a tiny little leaking prissy bolt without feeling it for a bigger cause lol.

Really do think no go on the turbo then? You were mad keen a bit back, is it just the engine shatting itself that put you off? Are you selling or keeping?

I was loving it at first as the problems were niggly ones but the speed out weighed them, but now I need a 3rd gbox and an engine re build after 8k miles its fucked me off, ive never tracked the car and only had the odd blast.

BG Clio 182
I was loving it at first as the problems were niggly ones but the speed out weighed them, but now I need a 3rd gbox and an engine re build after 8k miles its fucked me off, ive never tracked the car and only had the odd blast.
Yeah. Really is unreliable that isn't it mate because in standard guise they're pretty good aren't they reliability wise, especially mechanically :)

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Was just thinking of you as safer than turbo conversion matey,and their priced good have a look at them spoke to Nick at pms today very nice genuine chap.