ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sky or virgin media

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I've got line rental, phone, TV and broadband with SKY. Can't fault the broadband it is always quick and we don't get service interruptions. Phone is fine, get free calls on evenings and weekends, calling mobiles is pricey. TV is good but I get a lot of 'not receiving a signal' - I think because I live in a block of flats with an old communal system. Because I get 1 bill with all the stuff it seems a lotl of money each month but there are usually various offers on sports and movies you can get etc.

Don't know about Virgin.

none :(
cheers mate, im not really bothered about movies or the sports, would just want espn for the ufc, but i suppose i could stream that and save myself some money each month.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
UFC on setanta was one of the main reasons I got sky, then they shut up shop. I dont think ESPN comes with any of the channel packs on sky, so I think you have to subscribe to that channel. I usually just use MMAlinker and watch the fights the day after they have taken place.

^^ was looking at that, but thats an 18 month contract where as sky is only 12, plus it would be chaeper to have xl on virgin that to subscribe to espn and the hd+ box seperately, but the thing is ufc contract is due to expire with espn next august, so i dont know if they will re sign and i dont fancy paying an extra amount of money each month, if that makes sense.

Listerine & Poledo
V+ Boxes are poor, I hear Tivo is great.

And if it is, then there's no reason not to get Virgin if it's available.

DB.

BMW 440i
My V+ box isn't that bad, but the Tivo box downstairs is much better and quicker! It's the slowness of the V+ box that ruins it.

Listerine & Poledo
Yep:
V+ HD owner: I know I think I'll catch that [program] I missed the other day, I think I saw it was on Catch-up/on-demand (Press button)
Box: Whatevs, I'm on break, come back in 5 mintues

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I've had both and I'd say Virgin.

The interface might not be as slick but you're guaranteed BB speed not "upto" can get 50meg if you're in a FO area and all the on demand stuff which is ideal.

You get in my experience alot more for your monthly sub fee.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Yeah, well better.

Have a search on their site, explains what it is.

It's cool as f**k.

Sky+ > V+ in terms of interface etc but TiVo pwns all.

cheers mate ill have a look. I know the contract i take with virgin will be 18months, but am i able to change my package down to l tv or increase my internet if i need too, or will i need to stick with what i orgianlly select for 18months.

Ph1 172
had my Tivo box installed on Sunday, was chatting to the guy and he said that any Tvio box user that isn't on the XL package with be upgrade to it in the near future. Also that the Tivo box is getting a firmware update too, red button functions for BBC,

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I just went for sky...

£30 credit
ESPN for free for 3 months
HD box
£75 for me and £75 for the mrs (M&S vouchers)

Monaco 172 (5/468)
Skygo must be a big plus !

No need for extra boxes upstairs as you can view straight from xbox pc etc !

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
No just sports...

You also no longer need to have multi-room to play live sky through your xbox but can only watch the packages you subscribe to.

I just wired my bedroom up and took a direct feed from the sky box in the lounge. I installed a magic eye on the end of the cable allowing me to change channel from my bedroom.

Easy Peasy :)

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
For broadband, Virgin Media 100%. For TV I'd go with Sky because the V+ box is so slow its unreal. I havn't turned mine on in months because its so slow. I just stream everything online.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
virgin for broadband

1495443287.png

Was a long term virgin customer but it's not available at the new house so have had sky. I hate te fact that the tv guide doesn't distinguish between channels I have and those I don't! Caabt comment on much else as it's only just been installed and phone line is going in today.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
This might be of interest to you. It's what will be included in the upcoming software update.

When are we planning to do this download?
We hope to have the code release on all TiVo boxes before Christmas this year.

How will we do the code download?
We’ll deliver the new code onto the TiVo service in the early hours of the morning so most customers won’t notice a break in their service. It’s usually a seamless customer experience and standard fault processes should be followed. The new code version is then stored on the box ready for use.

Why are we updating the TiVo code?
We’ll be using the code deployment process to fix, improve and add some fantastic new features to our TiVo service.

So what new functionality will we be enabling with the download?
Here’s a sneak preview of what new functionality we’ll be enabling and some really positive fixes that will be seen within the code.

Functionality
Express Series Link – You can set your series links in a flash
Padding – Automatic padding around the start and finish of new recordings and series links (doesn’t change existing series links)
Multi-tap text entry – You can now search using the number buttons on your remote, just like texting on your mobile phone
More flexible parental control – If you don’t want to be asked for your PIN when you’re playing a recording from My Shows, you can now switch it off!
Skippable playlists – Full skipping functionality for Music On Demand playlists will be available
Live Events – Great news! You can now buy a live event on your TiVo box
BBC iPlayer – Full integration of all the content from the BBC iPlayer is now available in the TV Guide, the Catch Up & On Demand menus and in TiVo Search and Browse
PIN access on Apps – You can now control access to Apps and Games
YouTube app – The YouTube app has been given a whole new look with more videos than ever and now supports HD quality video
TiVo Buddy App – Just after we launch the new code you’ll be able to download this great new tool from the Apple App Store. If you connect your wireless router to the TiVo box with a cable you’ll be able to control many features from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. Watch this space for more info!

Fixes
Improved 1080i up scaling – so improving the picture quality
HDMI connection reliability fixed
Info button now provides programme information in guide and mini guide
SCART aspect ratio corrected

What’s happening with Red Button?
On TiVo, we’ve got a Red Button link to our full BBC iPlayer app on BBC channels and we’re working with our channel partners to get the Red Button extended to other channels.
We’re hoping to have a wider range of red button services by early next year. TiVo customers can check our progress in the Customer News area in Help on their TiVo Box.

What’s happening with reminders?
With the ability to record 3 simultaneous programmes we thought that reminders wouldn’t be necessary anymore. We now know that customers miss the feature enormously and we are looking at introducing them in a future release.

Had my TiVo a week or so now. Fecking good bit of kit.

This, I went for virgin as it was cheaper as I moved out and ran out of money :p. As I can walk to the pub for the Spurs games, Sky Sports wasn’t an issue for me. I am also with love film so neither are the films. The normal Virgin kit is miles behind sky, probably worse than the old sky analogue setup however since Tivo was installed, it makes everything much much better (better than Sky+ IMO). Internet wise I get 9.5mb even in peak times out of a possible 10mb. You get less HD channels with Virgin but they are adding them all the time and you pay £50 one off to activate it with no monthly extras.
My package is;

Internet 10mb
Phone Free evenings & Weekends
TV L package +TiVo +HD
Includes Line rental.

£32.

Sky equivalent is £43 with HD but more channels.

I had always planned to go back to sky (always had it at home) once someone moved in with me i.e. a gf etc however I don’t know if I will now.

I can compare it to the Xbox and Playstation. Sky is dedicated TV that you won’t beat (same as the Xbox for games) Virgin is the all-rounder that offers better value for money for the general public (Playstation).

The long and short of it is that if you are well in to your TV, want sky sports and sky movies, go for the finesse of Sky, there is a reason they are so popular. If you want product that essentially does the same job but you don’t want the sky channels then go with Virgin.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
my virgin internet is very very quick but not at all reliable, it drops out daily and sometimes the drop out lasts multiple days and takes virgin an age to discover it is all there fault

my virgin internet is very very quick but not at all reliable, it drops out daily and sometimes the drop out lasts multiple days and takes virgin an age to discover it is all there fault

Cant comment on this, I havent had a problem since it was installed 8 months ago however certain parts of the country, I have heard they are bad.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
We are hoping that they have found the problem and fixed it this time rather than faffing about changing bits they can in the house and hoping. So i can say they do try but it can take a while for them to sort it