ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky Broadband Router

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Hi
Am in the process of moving my broadband from Tiscali to Sky and have been told by my neighbour that the Sky Sagem wireless router is rubbish, he get's a better signal form across the road from my Thomson D67A9D router.
Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to use my Thomson on Sky broadband and how to do it please?
Regards Tim :eek:

Polo (not quite a Clio)
Hi Dissy,

Is your Thomson router the one that Tiscali supplied to you when you signed up for their service?

Thanks,
Ryan

Polo (not quite a Clio)
Chances are the actual Thomson router will be 'locked' to Tiscalis service. You can do a factory reset on some Thomson models and install a standard firmware so you can configure the router to work with other ISPs.

It can be quite tricky, really depends on technically capable you are. There are plenty of excellent broadband modem routers out there which will exceed both the Sky and Thomson supplied hardware.

What is the exact model number of your Thomson router (probably written on the bottom) so I can do some research and get back to you.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Hi Ryan
Is the TG585v7 right , I work with DNC and CNC Metal working pressbrakes and Shears so have electronic knowledge just not good on PC's.
If that number is wrong tell me and I will write down all the rest but I think think the others are SSID and Network no's etc.
Just wante dto use what I had and not spend any more money due to tough times and present set-up ok but swapped to get all package from Sky as same price and get free HD :D.
Thanks Tim

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Hi Ryan
Found this when looking for a Firmware info page so if mine was a Tiscali Modem/Router perhaps it is not worth doing. :(

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ds...de-thomson-tg585v7-firmware.html?fpart=2&vc=1

My Desk top PC and modem/router is above my garage in an extension and I can get a signal in my lounge which is the room furthest away from the PC and downstairs. My son has an ethernet cable to his bedroom from router for PS3 internet. My neighbour says his Sky Sagem router wont reach from the landing downstairs to his laptop in lounge but he can get a signal from my Thomson 75m away.
Have seen good reports for Netgear but don't want to spend a fortune and not be as good as I've already got.
Is the better versions the MIMO and Rangemax e.g. NETGEAR DG834PN

and is 108mps the faster speed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NETGEAR-DG834...K_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4cefe5d9c7

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks Tim

Polo (not quite a Clio)
Hi Dissy,

I think you can just factory reset this Thomson router and reconfigure it with your Sky credentials. However, I've recently learnt that Sky uses a somewhat long-winded process to log you into your broadband service - so it might be more complicated than the average ISP.

You will need to utilise this online tool to generate a working username and password for your Sky service: https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

You will need to reset your Thomson (following the documentation found here: http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161) and then login following the documentation to setup your new username and password so that you can connect to your Sky service.

Do this at your own risk, it could prevent you from connecting to your Tiscali service if you do this in advanced - my advice would be to give it a shot on the day your broadband is migrated, if it doesn't work - you can simply use your Sky broadband router.

In order to generate your Sky username and password, you will need the information from the bottom of the Sky router.

Annoying how complicated ISPs make it to use your own hardware or recycle existing hardware, just to make migrating more difficult and more effort to prevent you from leaving in my opinion.

Ryan

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Thanks Ryan will look into it and decide whether to carry on wish had left it alone but too late now:mad:

Thanks Tim

Go cry to your momma!
Try and get one of the older sky routers, the netgear DG834GT - great router and can be had off ebay for ~£10

Cane easily be flashed with standard firmware or DGTeam custom firmware.