ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky around the house

PH1 172
Did a search and I have not read something that hasn't just confused me more :eek:

I have got Sky+HD installed downstairs and I went to be able to link this up to the tv in the bedroom (don't want to get multiroom)

There are TV points all around the house and just wanted to know if there was a way I can connect the Sky+HD box to the aerial point downstairs (RF out) and get sky to the tv upstairs when it is connected to the aerial points.

Sorry in advance if the above understanding is wrong and could some one point me in the right direction to bits I will need please

Family Bus
You can use the Aerial only you don't 'need' a sender

I have an aerial that goes out the back of the Sky Box up the outside wall of my house and into my bedroom.

Can only watch whatever channel is on the box downstairs. Nightmare when the bloody 'system standby' jobber comes on and you have to leggit downstairs lol.

Bumder With A Buffer
Basically what Gem said.

The Sky+ boxes should have a secondary RF outlet on the back of the unit.

Just connect it up to that and enable it on the settings and jobs a goodun.

Edit you can buy one of those "eye" things that let you switch channel from upstairs. I might have a spare one somewhere if anyone wants it (nicked from my time as an installer :) :) )

You can use the Aerial only you don't 'need' a sender

I have an aerial that goes out the back of the Sky Box up the outside wall of my house and into my bedroom.

Can only watch whatever channel is on the box downstairs. Nightmare when the bloody 'system standby' jobber comes on and you have to leggit downstairs lol.

You can turn that auto standby off in the options somewhere.

you can buy the magic eye. this basically is a cable from the sky box to an infra red reciever to which ever tv the eye is run to, you can then change the channel from either room, iirc Argos sell these kits for £45, inc cable and 3 magic eyes and all connectors

clio
Google slingbox for a tasty solution for those with pcs to send to. Then u can even have sky where.ever u have an internet connection including ur phone. Cam also set recordings etc just as if u were in front of.it

Go cry to your momma!
Use the aerial point, most simple option with the best PQ, if there's an amp in the loft you'll need it to be magic eye compatible, you also need to turn the 9V outlet on in the installers menu.

Magic eyes can be had off ebay for a couple of quid :)

Look for a guide to how it works, it's simply and works well.

PH1 172
Cheers for all the replies :)

So going by the advice I need to do the following:

1) Connect the sky box (RF Out) to the aerial point
2) Enable the RF out in the options menu
3) Connect aerial point upstairs to the TV

Where does the magic eye go when upstairs in the bedroom as I didn't understand that bit :eek: - Where is the best place to get them?

I was having a think when someone said about "Only watching what channel is on down stairs".... The RF output will send the live signal upstairs but what happens if some one watches a recorded programme does that then take over the RF output or can you watch live upstairs and recorded downstairs? I only ask as I know there is 2 tuners and wondered if that changed the way the RF output works.

Thanks for all the help :cool:

PH1 172
As my house is a new build, the aerial cables to all rooms are loose in the loft (have to buy my own tv aerial). What gadget do I need in order to connect these all together so that the sky signal can pass through them to all other rooms AND at the same time allow me to connect a tv aerial later on which will give each tv it's own signal as well?

I have been looking in to this for myself, basically the magic eye thing goes between the aerial and the tv in the room which you want it. It will play whatever you are currently watching be it live tv or something you have recorded.

have a look on ebay there are good kits with a geniuie sky remotes for less than £15.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKY-PLUS-REMO...onEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item45f2d09780

Cheers for the info Storm_Force and the link :)

PH1 172
As my house is a new build, the aerial cables to all rooms are loose in the loft (have to buy my own tv aerial). What gadget do I need in order to connect these all together so that the sky signal can pass through them to all other rooms AND at the same time allow me to connect a tv aerial later on which will give each tv it's own signal as well?

Anybody got any info e.g. links to signal amplifiers, which will help me out with the above please?

PH1 172
http://www.aerialshack.com/gold-plu...-p-673.html?osCsid=go0ne4arg97sda0e7nq63brus3

Does the bit of kit above work through the mains cabling e.g plug in downstairs and recieve a signal upstairs when one is plugged in....similar to running internet on the mains or is it just a case of it plugs into the wall to get it's power and you have the inputs/outputs on the side?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VEK0MS/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Basically something like that.

You need one that can have 2 inputs (one for sky and one for Aerial) then you connect your other tv's to the outputs.

You will then have SKy and normal TV (when you hook it up) transmitted through that amp.

edit....Il try and find you a decent spec one

Cheers for your help mate, much appreciated :).

So basically something like the above will allow me to do the following:

1) Connect the coax aerial point in the livingroom, which has the sky RF out connected to it, to 1 of the input points.
2) Connect all other tvs to the output points, which means they will pick up on the sky input signal.
3) Once I install a TV aerial I plug that into the other input and I will get TV signal to all the TVs plugged into the outputs e.g. my TV in the bedroom will then recieve signal to it's inbuilt freeview.

So to get a TV signal down to the tv coax point I would need a splitter before the box so that one end goes into the input (Sky signal) and one end goes into the output so that I can recieve a TV signal or would that not work?

One other thing.....How do you get power to these if they sit up in the loft?

Cheers for the help Richy

Last edited:
  PH1 172
Ignore the above about getting power to it as I think I am right in saying it will get it's power from the RF output on the Sky box:eek:

PH1 172
Ignore the above about getting power to it as I think I am right in saying it will get it's power from the RF output on the Sky box:eek:

Maybe not as the one linked to says it needs mains power:eek:, I need one that takes it's power from the RF output on the sky box.

Bumder With A Buffer
You will stuggle to find one that can do multiroom splitting without having to use a power supply dude. I swear its only 9V out of the Sky box and powering 4 units out of that is impossible.

What you need to do is.....(if you use the one I linked up)

Normal TV Aerial striaght down to Sky box RF In.

RF Out 2 (which is the 9v RF ouput) from Sky Box back up into the loft and plug into the box in the loft. (On this cable is Sky and normal TV signals)

Run any additional ones from the splitter I linked to your other points.

PH1 172
You will stuggle to find one that can do multiroom splitting without having to use a power supply dude. I swear its only 9V out of the Sky box and powering 4 units out of that is impossible.

What you need to do is.....(if you use the one I linked up)

Normal TV Aerial striaght down to Sky box RF In.

RF Out 2 (which is the 9v RF ouput) from Sky Box back up into the loft and plug into the box in the loft. (On this cable is Sky and normal TV signals)

Run any additional ones from the splitter I linked to your other points.

Ok mate cheers for the info much appreciated and very helpful :). Just got to work out where I am going to get the power supply from to get it to the loft. Don't really want to attacking new walls and ceilings....

Bumder With A Buffer
You might be lucky and have a fused spur up in the loft??

When I was doing installs in new builds everyone had one. (this was 9 years ago)

Although in mine, which is 4 yeas old, i havent got one! cheapskate arseholes!

PH1 172
You might be lucky and have a fused spur up in the loft??

When I was doing installs in new builds everyone had one. (this was 9 years ago)

Although in mine, which is 4 yeas old, i havent got one! cheapskate arseholes!

Well only way to find out is to get my back side up into the loft lol. Will no doubt have no fused spur up there even though my house is 8 months old :clown:

Cheers for the help richy much appreciated mate, will have a ganders up in the loft and hunt for a power source...