ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Skippy's 182 FF

N/A
Hi all,

After a long search for a blue FF 182, i recently purchased one from these pages.

It's a 90k miler 55 plate that has been serviced at every required interval. Cambelts were changed around the 50K mark 3/4 years ago so it's up for another change very soon. Ownership has been eventful so far!

-The day after I got the car I hit a pothole and buckled a rim. That required a new wheel and alignment. Taking this up with the council still
-Shortly after this the car developed a whine audible at low speeds. After a trip to a reputable independent it was diagnosed as a gearbox issue. This resulted in a gearbox rebuild (four bearings replaced) and i chucked on a new clutch at the same time for good measure.

So, with that done and nice dent in my wallet, I can concentrate on doing the jobs that I actually wanted to do!:

-New brake pads - what do you recommend, standard pads or upgrades? If so what?
-New Exhaust - I am leaning towards the RS192 as I don't want anything that loud. I have read about some issues with fitments and advice on having it sleeved...
-Cambelt and Auxilary Belt change - The care will probably go to ren-o-tec Chelmsford to have all of the above done

The car has been expensive so far and is going to require a bit more cash to be spent on it to get it up to the condition it deserves. What a car though, really enjoying it so far.

Let me know what you think to the questions above, I'd be keen to get some feedback from folks on here.

Pictures to follow....

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along, you haven't had much luck so far mate. Hopefully this improves for you!

Ref brake pads, what you going to use the car for, any track days etc planned or purely for road use

N/A
Ah I will just be doing road driving with this car, I doubt it will ever see a track. Any suggestions on brake pads?

N/A
Quick update on the car...

Firstly G172 is THE MAN. I tapped him up for some brembo discs and pads for the front and renault discs and brembo pads for the rear and went for new washeres and nuts. He chucked in a litre of brake fluid for free as well, everything was devliered within two days. I hit up another forum user for a Ktec cat back exhaust as well. I went directly to Ktec for the exhaust mounts - dealing with them was everything you'd expect and stands up to their reputation on here, they were spot on and a pleasure to deal with.

So, with a boot full of goodies the car went off to Ren-O-Tec in Chelmsford where it was left with Martin to sort out. He also changed the Cambelt and Auxilary belt as well.

I bought the car in Feb from this forum and knew it needed a bit of work.... so far it's cost me:

£800 for a gearbox rebuild - didn't see that one coming.
£60 for a second hand alloy and £60 more for wheel alignment after I hit a pot hole - clearly didn't see that one coming.
£1260 for fitting of all of the parts listed above including the Cambelt and Auxilary belt and pretensioner change. This also included a pair of rear shocks as one was found to be leaking.
£ a bit more fo rthe actual parts themselves.

All in all, I could have bought the car twice over the amount that I have spent on it. Yes, that's a bit crazy, I nearly gave up on it but I am glad I didn't - the work has taken place under my ownership and it has given me complete confidence in the car itself. It started off as a fun car to drive and now it is up to scratch it is excellent.

Longer term the idea is to keep the car as standard as possible and just enjoy it.

Still trying to get some decent pics of it but it is pretty standard to be honest...

As George said you haven't had much luck so far, but hopefully you can now start to enjoy your car knowing everything is sorted.

£800 for the gearbox rebuild is far more than I expected :eek: I'm guessing this included the cost of removing the box and many packs of biscuits.