ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Size of main bearing what one

And trying to be more positive this time.
If your crank journals have worn they will need to be reground, as the grinding process removes metal the bearings have to increase in size to take up the slack. Hence they are available in Standard, the size that would be fitted at the factory, 0.25mm oversize to take up the slack on what I have always referred to as a first grind then 0.5mm for a second grind.
What if any grinding will be required on your mains journals will be dictated by the amount of wear which should be measured in multiple points for each journal for diameter in several places across the journal to check for conical convex and concave wear.

hope that helps

Clio sport 172 ph2
And trying to be more positive this time.
If your crank journals have worn they will need to be reground, as the grinding process removes metal the bearings have to increase in size to take up the slack. Hence they are available in Standard, the size that would be fitted at the factory, 0.25mm oversize to take up the slack on what I have always referred to as a first grind then 0.5mm for a second grind.
What if any grinding will be required on your mains journals will be dictated by the amount of wear which should be measured in multiple points for each journal for diameter in several places across the journal to check for conical convex and concave wear.

hope that helps
Right yeah that did make sense weirdly enough the bearings were fine but because I had the Pistons out I thought I'd change the beatings while I'm there, but I do understand what you meant cheers

If your sure its the originals then they will be the standard size. If it was me and it was totally stripped I would spend the money and take it to a local engine builders just to get the mains and big ends miked up and ground if necessary.