ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Simple G'box Question For Techie's

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have a 1998 1.2 8v (d7f), should I be able to see the gearbox sensor from within the bay? Or should I have to get under the car?

Basically I'm 99% sure that my speedo sensor isn't the correct one (well what Renault should have fitted)

All pics/comments welcome.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok question two, if the speedo sensor is ontop... then what is this on the bottom to the side.... (can sort of see it through passenger arch with the wheel off)

(excuse the sketchup, its only rough)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• sensora.jpg
    sensora.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 327
  • sensorb.jpg
    sensorb.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 347
  • sensorc.jpg
    sensorc.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 333
  BMW M135i
Reverse light switch. Speedo sensor on the top of the diff so should be easily visibile on a 1.2 as theres nothing much in the way!

Lionel Richie
speedo sensor? its on the back of the gearbox (look from above) has a shiney metal heatsheild clipped to the side of it with a wire coming out the top

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'll give it a go, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at from above (know it sounds silly) from underneath I'm fine! LOL!

Cheers for the help Mr Fred

BMW M135i
Top of the gearbox at the rear on the diff section of the casing where the driveshafts exit the box, will be sticking out the top towards the rear of the diff.

Do I dare ask what you've done? :eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No one have a pic? I'll post a pic of my engine in one sec and could someone put an arrow on it and re-post? lol!!!

Ok what have I done.... I was told by an ex mechanic friend that the only sensor on the gearbox would be the speedo one....

So obviously I got under the car, found the reverse switch sensor, took it out, pissed 'box oil all over my face as I wasn't expecting it to be part of the seal, put sensor back in as the one I'd bought didn't fit :rolleyes:... had to go buy more 'box oil, topped that up, spent a while sketching that^^^^ up, spent an hour and a half in renault explaining what my sensor looks like (showing sketches, saying no thats not it, thats not it.....)

Only to give up, come on here, and find out I am infact a total tosser...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
PLEASE excuse the halfords special, it sounded nice but that was about it :eek:

An arrow on this pic would be nice...

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG1920.JPG
    CIMG1920.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 191
  Lionel Richie
REACH DOWN THE BACK OF THE SODDING ENGINE! (to the left of the header tank, towards the exhaust manifold)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
REACH DOWN THE BACK OF THE SODDING ENGINE! (to the left of the header tank, towards the exhaust manifold)

I will tmrw I promise! I'm not shy with this sort of stuff (do all my own electrics etc), just never actually gone and bought a haynes and gone for it! LOL! sorry :eek:

I'm guessing as I now have the standard air box on thats blocking my view of it!!! I'll have a good look tmrw, cheers :)

stand at the front of car, grab expansion bottle slip hand aroundback of engine it's the wires going to the gearbox between the exhaust manifold and the expansion bottle

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
On my 02 model speedo comes off the ABS system, but like others have said its down the back, easy to see on a 1.2 as theres not alot in your way!

Why do you think its not the right one mate?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You'll struggle with that.

Why do you say that? :D I'm pretty handy, but with the 1.2 I've just never had the will/space/time to work on the engine myself. I do all my own electrical work in the car and suspension etc, just never gone for it with the engine!

On my 02 model speedo comes off the ABS system, but like others have said its down the back, easy to see on a 1.2 as theres not alot in your way!

Why do you think its not the right one mate?

I don't think its not the right one anymore, thats the point, lol! I've just been looking in totally the wrong palce! LOL!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
^Damn right!

You could always make a 172 haynes or a "172 Fred's" and sell it on here! Nice little earner! lol!

Did it tonight, gotta say, i had a look at a friends newer clio, and it was A LOT more visible than on mine, was VERY well hidden for some reason? LOL.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)