ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

silly question: 197 vs 200, number of seats?

not a clio anymore
Hi everyone,

long time I have not posted on the forum. I *may* go back to Renaults soon but I have one requirement: I need 5 seats. From looking at adverts, it looked like the 200 had only 4 seats whereas the 197 has 5. Is this true? also has the R27 got 5 seats too? The other option would be an R26, but I prefer n/a to turbo.

thanks

Meg 250/E36 Touring
All 197's had 5 belts (R27 included) I've enquired about fitting a 5th belt to a 200 and although technically possible, the car is safety approved etc/registered with DVLA as a 5 seat :-( So could cause major head aches if anything happened.

Think it's Renault's way of making people upgrade to a 250!!

Rich

not a clio anymore
thanks for the feedback. So it is 197 or non clio then. Shame (although I prefer the looks of the 197 over the 200).

not a clio anymore
Marv, that may be the case, I do like the R27 (especially in LY). The 200 is *supposed* to be better. What seems better is the front suspensions which are similar in tech to the R26 and are supposed to limit torque steer. Now that is what I read, I have not tried either.
As for the normal 200 vs the cup, the pics I saw where I think from the normal version so it would seem to be 4 seats on the whole range.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Front supsension design set up is the same across 197 and 200, if you're thinking 'perfo hub'. Main differences are spring/ damper rates between 197/200/cup variants. There was a slight tweek to the hub carrier from 197 to 200.

200 cups are definately a 4 seater, not sure if the normal 200's are 5 seaters?

Mines was a 4 seater. Some guy came to view it with 3 kids. He said he wouldn't mind one jumping about the back with no belt on......:dead:

The V5 said it was 5 seater though.

Megane 275 trophy006
Mines was a 4 seater. Some guy came to view it with 3 kids. He said he wouldn't mind one jumping about the back with no belt on......:dead:

The V5 said it was 5 seater though.

that's what I must be remembering. there was a discussion on another forum and some people where saying there's stated 5 on the V5 whilst others stated 4.
Was a little while ago now.

not a clio anymore
Front supsension design set up is the same across 197 and 200, if you're thinking 'perfo hub'. Main differences are spring/ damper rates between 197/200/cup variants. There was a slight tweek to the hub carrier from 197 to 200.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I thought it was introduced on the 200. That's good then. Thanks

AG 200
I owned a 197 for two years and have now owned a 200 for 19 months. The 197 does have the five seats and 5 belts , the 200 can easily accommodate 5 BUT as rightly pointed out only has four belts therefore is obviously not for you. The real kick in the teeth is that they have used the regular clio roof lining and it has the cut out for the middle rear belt.
The cars are definitely different to drive but if I needed five seats then I wouldn't hesitate to go for the 197 , loved it.

Nissan 350z
that's what I must be remembering. there was a discussion on another forum and some people where saying there's stated 5 on the V5 whilst others stated 4.
Was a little while ago now.

Renault have acknowledged some of the early 200s had incorrect V5s, and this can be corrected to 4 seater if you contact the DVLA.
But yeah its deffinately 4 seater, something todo with weight saving and keeping production costs down?