ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sigma 30mm f1.4

Anyone ever used one?

I was off to buy a Canon 28mm f1.8 this week as I need a wide lens to complement my 70-200 - but after using a mates they're quite soft wide open
Then a friend recommended the Sigma 30mm f1.4 to me - apparently really popular with dslr video nuts - which is something I wanna play with
Same price as the Canon.. lots of people saying it's much sharper

I've had bad experiences with Sigma's under/over focussing in the past but I guess you can always send them off for calibration - or use the micro adjustment on the body to correct it. And apparently the poor focussing isn't so frequent these days

Anyone ever used one?

Cupra
I had one for a couple of years on my old 40D. I loved it and only sold when I went full frame. They are great build quality, I had no focus issues and it was sharp enough.

If you want some sample images, I can send you a couple of full size ones to check out.

That'd be cool if it's not too much trouble mate (mail@phil-barker.com)

From what I've read it's not as sharp as the 35mm L but I kinda expected that. Just want something for a bit of indoor shooting at parties and stuff this winter

I have one. It was my favourite lens by a considerable margin. Loved it. So much so infact that when I sold my camera and all my other lenses I couldn't bear to part with it. I still have it in the forlorn hope that someday I'll buy another SLR.

The only down side was that it front-focussed slightly. Like you say, you could sort that with micro-adjust and it was only a case of millimetres at near minimum focal distance and wide open. In "normal" conditions the AF was spot on.

And as for it versus the 35L - I've never used the L but quite a few reviews suggest that the Siggy holds it's own.

Cupra
That'd be cool if it's not too much trouble mate (mail@phil-barker.com)

From what I've read it's not as sharp as the 35mm L but I kinda expected that. Just want something for a bit of indoor shooting at parties and stuff this winter

I'll dig some out tonight for you and mail them over.

Had one few years back on my Nikon D60. Nice lens, big and heavy for a prime but loved it!

I blew a picture up to A1 and it was great!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Not used the 30 but I bought the 50 F1.4 this week and its fantastic, some lovely images produced, however, it’ll be shipped off to Sigma UK this week to be adjusted as I have back focus issues, as are common with the sigma primes, but it is a very good service even if you do have a problem.

Anyway, it should produce some stunning images when focused right, I know the 50 does.

Is there a charge for re-calibration?

I suppose if you can send it off and get it sorted then it's not too much of an issue other than the hassle of having to be without it for a while

987 Boxster S
I've got one at the moment, I upgraded to it from the Canon 50mm f1.8 because I wanted something wider than the 50mm. It is very good, produces some nice bokeh. But can have an annoyingly narrow depth of field if you don't adjust the aperture properly or happen to focus incorrectly.

Thanks guys

Sample shots look really good - it's only £380 on amazon with next day delivery new, and 2nd hand they're £320+ so gonna go for new and then if it needs recalibrating I can get it done free hopefully :D

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys

Sample shots look really good - it's only £380 on amazon with next day delivery new, and 2nd hand they're £320+ so gonna go for new and then if it needs recalibrating I can get it done free hopefully :D

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/sigma-30mm-f-1-4/Nzky, if you’re prepared to wait a few days it saves an awful amount on money, and I can still send it to Sigma UK to be fixed, not Hong Kong where it’s come from.

I did a bit of googling about them

Highly recommended on talk photography forums
They cover all customs charges and goods are shipped from a UK warehouse
They are chinese grey imports so you dont get a UK warranty - BUT they say if anything develops a fault during it's warranty period they will pay a local repair company to do the repair work for you

Still sounds a bit too good to be true to me lol

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Its not too good to be true, they’re a legit company, I’ve bought my Camera, this lens and a filter with fantastic service and prices, plus I doubt a bad company would have 350,000 subscribers on their youtube channel?

They were the ones who referred me to Sigma UK who are sorting my problem, I could have sent it back to HK but that would cost me a bomb in postage but very good customer service.

Its not too good to be true, they’re a legit company, I’ve bought my Camera, this lens and a filter with fantastic service and prices, plus I doubt a bad company would have 350,000 subscribers on their youtube channel?

They were the ones who referred me to Sigma UK who are sorting my problem, I could have sent it back to HK but that would cost me a bomb in postage but very good customer service.

Cheers mate - I didn't mean to offend - just £100 off a £380 lens is a LOT lol

I'll get one ordered tomorrow (Pay day)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers mate - I didn't mean to offend - just £100 off a £380 lens is a LOT lol

I'll get one ordered tomorrow (Pay day)

No it didn’t offend me haha, I was just trying to save you some money by you not bypassing it because of where the company is based. The first time I looked I was shocked by how good the prices were, so I can see how you were skeptical :)

Just wanna say thanks to everyone who replied

Went to Sheffield on Friday and bought one from a high street store. Ended up costing me £80 more than on-line but I got to try the AF out for myself first and it was nearly spot on. Little bit of Micro AF adjustment but nothing serious

Superb lens! Highly recommend it

8032899467_a1610a1555_b.jpg

Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Scruff by Phil_Barker, on Flickr