ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Side mounts, MSA worthy?

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Hi Guys. I have a pair of this side mounts from my other car. Made from 5mm aluminium. Will they be ok to use for MSA events?? Or I need to buy something else? I bought specific corbeau mounts but they are to wide at the bottom to fit the seat as far back as I want and to clear the cage with out moving seat more in to the Center witch won't be perfectly inline with steering wheel... But this work out ok. 2-3cm seems to make all the difference https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332386610842
b8f4914129672b47194eaa04a562dd28.jpg
4661043eeb7a4bdf400368921623e90c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question...... The general MSA rules and regulations regarding seat mounting can be found in sections 2.2, 2.3.1, 2.3.2 and 2.3.3 of the 2017 Blue Book (Page 164 - picture below). It says 5 mm 'light alloy' is acceptable but note the number of fixings and the minimum bolt sizes.

What type of motorsport are you thinking of? If you go in for a 'road going' speed event such as hillclimbing, then the good old MOT is usually sufficient. If you go in for a type of Motorsport that requires an MSA Log Book then the seat mounting will be checked as part of the log book issuing process.

Hope that helps.....

blue book.jpg

Last edited:

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Thank you for that! Yeah I looked at the blue book prior posting this and apart from 3mm steel 5mm alloy they say nothing regarding the side mounts. The bolts I will be using are 12.9 high tensile as well as welded OMP rails. So everything should be as strong as. Just wanted to know what was their view on side mounts form sctuteneering pikt of view. Do they look at the brand like OMP, sparco etc and say right we know this Barnes that are ok. But this unbranded mounts are 5mm as per blue book but have no identification on them. And the plan is to enter TDC first. Didn't get to that stage as car is still quite far away from finished but I try to follow MSA guides while building it.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
That's all I wanted to know. :) thanks.
What do you think personally? Ok to use them?

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Well they survived 15+ trackdays so far in my RS4. But yeah will keep an eye on them! Cheers mate for a speedy response!!!!!! Much appreciated