ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Side mount wiper arm conversion

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Ever since the aero blades came as a retrofit option I always had the impression that they don't look so good on older cars, that was mainly because it was obvious they weren't a factory fit.
Plus the fact that they don't fit the screen very well as I'll show bellow.
Anyway, I got an obsession wit this stuff (probably I should get some help LOL) and got a little crazy with this :D
First thing I bought the UK wiper linkage plus arms and scuttle panel (my car is LHD) for a better swipe of the screen.
Then I tried some Bosch AR530S retrofit aero wipers which were nice, well at least the one in front of me because the other one didn't fit the screen so well:
20160213_134956_zpspkzewobk.jpg

You can see the end being lifted off. It also didn't quite swipe the rain sensor area so put them back in the box.
Then noticed one day a VW Passat from the early 2000's (the ones which were first fitted with aero blades) and got a closer look at its wipers, it also had the screen slightly more curved at the sides like the clio or even more, but it also had the wiper mounting off center and an asymmetric curvature to better suit the screen. I also liked the design of the side mounting system and the fact that the arms are neatly hidden from view when sitting inside the car, being in front of the blades.
And happily it also had the same dimensions as the clio (21"both sides)
So went and bought two focus mk II arms, cut the ends at an angle and welded them to mine. First I marked the original position of the blades:
20160212_112544_zpstscysr3e.jpg

the welding:
20160212_133258_zpsxohy4vem.jpg

first fit to the car:
20160212_140935_zpsnfkncmvj.jpg

Then polished the weld and painted the lot, ended looking like this:
20160213_134806_zpsaocpd8wl.jpg

The view from inside:
20160213_134522_zpsr1itvqbq.jpg

Really pleased with the result, they work perfectly and the best thing is that the right side wiper covers the screen almost perfect.
Here is the VW specific blade covering the screen (much better than the first pic showing the retrofit blade):
20160213_134838_zpsuguymbs0.jpg

Well then.. that was it, took me 3 hours to do it.
Oh, if someone's interested you will need the BOSCH A925S kit and some second hand arms with side mounting. Plenty of cars have this, found mine very easy :)
Cheers!

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Amazing dedication to solve a problem no one else knew existed! Fair play mate, looks like a neat job. :)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Well I don't know if solving a problem that no one ever knew about is that great but yeah, the dedication part to solve something must be a good thing :))
Have to work though on developing obsessions lol :D