ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Side Exit Exhaust....legal or not

I got a K-TEC side exit exit exhaust modified to fit my clio from the cat back. The problem is, is that it is soo loud and i am not sure if it has changed the emissions at all.Wondering if it would pass the mot.is there a noise limit and how do they test it???

well, the position aint illegal.

BUT....the police can give you a producer sortof thingy which states you have to get it tested for noise.

so you pop along to the garage, which wont every have the equipment to test noise due to so many variables such as air temp, pressure, distance, humidity etc etc.

so, you tootle back saying they cant test it..end of story.

dont belive me, a mate of me dads who is a chief MOT trainer/inspector for the west, and he told me that.....there is no actual noise limit.

Thats wot i have heard from some people as well but never know who to believe now. just the meat being a pain in the """". But cheers for that ill see wot they say

i dunno how to say but it wakes my neighbours when i start in the morning. It begins to droan and u feel it when my induction kit kicks in as well. Were did you get the silencer from??

Williams 2, STi N12

They wont do ya for failing an MOT as there isnt a noise limit as such, it is up to the discretion of the tester. However if the plod is in a git of a mood he can do you for something else like disturbing the peace or something silly.

Insert a baffle pipe with some sound absorbing stuff and convert it into a cherry bomb!!

juat go to any motorsport factors and get a racing silencer.....make sure its the same diameter and the welding is smooth though....wels to teh silencer box, its easier to keep it smooth.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

well i was running my 16v for two days without the back box, essentially making it a side exit. (one silencer) Its bloody loud, I do mean BLOODY LOUD! Youll probably get a headache after a while when your driving, and certain revs/gears just made some really bad resonance which would rattle your brain. But the attention was nice. I was down a fair bit on power in the lower revs which doesnt help in a 16v, but once you get going the rev needle really flies over to the right sharpish. With a silencer or two im sure itd be a lot better.

i was reading in maxpower about someone who got pulled and told his exhaust was to loud, maxpower said go to where you bought it and they should be able to give you a certificate stating it meets the legal requirements