ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should you be able to turn the top mount by hand?

Since having my car back from birchdown, I've noticed there is a knock on the passenger side going over some bumps in the road. Had a quick look at my suspension at weekend and you can turn the top mount with the piston by had. Now then, it has the new style top mount kit on it, so sits away from the chassis slightly, and the dampers were refurbished by BG in august. Since then I've covered approx 5k miles.

My question is, if anybody else has the new style top mounts if they can spin it with there hand and the piston moves too?

I can't test the other side, as it has the old style topmount which sits flush on the chassis.

I was thinking it might be the balljoint the knocking, but after seeing it move I suspect something else has gone? Any help advice?

Dodgy one
i dont have trophy but i can spin my old style top mount hats by hand and remove them by hand admittedly its tough but can be done

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've had issues with the new style top mounts. The new designe is flawed still IMO. Had to revert to using the older style stuff on one car to stop it knocking. f**king renault

Is it the usual full lock knock that you've still seen danny? As I don't have that, its just over bumps in the road which is why I've ordered a ball joint.

RS6 C7
The Fred@BTM is smaller than everyone else's ;)

See:
Untitled.png

He's not paid up ;)

Ah right. Guess I'll have to have a look this weekend and find what the cause of this is. Sounds like the whole suspension unit is moving going over bumps (not compressing, but being pulled back)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Is it the usual full lock knock that you've still seen danny? As I don't have that, its just over bumps in the road which is why I've ordered a ball joint.

no it was over bumps as you said. one side was ok, but the other wouldn't do what it was told.

I might stick the old top mount back on then. As I never really needed to change it to the new style anyway. Funny how it only knocks on the side with the new style top mount...

Audi A3
i had to battle to get my top mount off to fit my washers, but after that i only tightened them slightly so id imagine if i really tried id be able to get them off by hand.

original top mounts though