ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should there be a bearing on the end of the crank (see pictures inside)

Trafic 140dci
Ok so following my project thread which got mixed replies, some saying yes, some saying no i really don't know if my 182 engine is meant to have a bearing on the end of the crank.

So i bought the 182 with a slipping clutch, and thought nothing of it as i was planning on swapping the engine for a 225 engine anyway. But due to a change in my circumstances i'm now putting the standard engine back in, but i noticed when i had the 2 side by side swapping the flywheel and clutch back to the 182 engine, that the 225 engine has a bearing in the end of the crank, and the 182 engine has what looks like a casing in it. Does anyone know for sure?

225 engine.
225bearing.jpg

182 engine.
182bearing.jpg

Is this right? If not i guess i'll need a bearing, could this also be why the old clutch was slipping and show's signs of extreme heat? Could my flywheel be buckled from this?

Thanks

Lewis

Trafic 140dci
Looks far too clean in there. My guess is the bearing should be there!

The clean one with the bearing is the 225 engine, it's a brand new engine. It's the old 182 that doesn't have one I'm concerned weather it should have one? As it was having clutch problems before i took it out.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
no, 182 engine doesn't have a spigot bearing. The pressed piece that's in there is part of a clutch kit for alignment

SQ5
s**t forgot to text you.

Went to Renault and it shows that bearing as only fitting Megane engine!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Whats the bearing for though on the meganne? To support the loading on the gearbox input shaft?

yes, Most renault engines are peculiar in the fact they don't use one. Majority of all engines use some kind of bearing or bush

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Slightly ot, but is that where they all leak from the white sealant around the bearing cap or from the bearing seal ? is it possible to change the seal insitu or a sump off job ?
Cheers

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Slightly ot, but is that where they all leak from the white sealant around the bearing cap or from the bearing seal ? is it possible to change the seal insitu or a sump off job ?
Cheers

not all, but it's not unusual at all. To do it properly it's engine out ideally

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the white sealer is on the rear main bearing cap. They are a nightmare to seal proberly even with the engine inverted on a stand. Doing it in situ is a massive gamble and probably wasting your time. You'll also disturb the rear crank seal so gearbox off to do that. The rear crank seal can be changed by removing the gearbox and flywheel. As I said, engine out is easiest.