ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should i buy it!!

audi s2,subaru b4, 306 td
Hi everyone new to your forum and i must say ive read through someof the posts and its looks like it will be a great help!Firstly im looking at buying a clio 172 and was wondering if theirs anything i should be looking for when buying it?
basically the car is at a auction as a dpx.It is a 53 reg with 35000 miles,it has had 4 owners,and has one service stamp.It is a really nice looking car as it has the tinted windows, bigger alloys,has been lowered,sat nav,flip dvd player, and a alpine stereo system.The car has been in the auction since the end of november and has come no where neard what the reserve was!This started at £6000 which i do think was a bit to much?But ive haggled my way down now to £4800!Although it does need taxing/2 front tyres, and a good service.Im only aloud 1 hour to check for mechanical faults once a pay a deposit for it so what should i be looking for?Also a £4800 is it a good deal and would the 4 previous owners but other people off?I know its alot of questions but any advice or help with it would be great!
thanks to all

dean:D

RS Clio 200
from the mods and extras i would guess its had a right old thrashing.
35k miles, u got the 36k comin up which is a bit pricier than normal.

im sure a couple of members would be happy to go along with you t help with the check wihtin anhour

im not sure but i think all the mods are standard except the dvd player and being lowered?It doesnt look like it has been thrashed and does look like new but then ya never can tell!gonna get a mechanic to go right through it though before hand but is their anything out of the norm i should be looking for?Also what is due at the 36K service?Is it just a standard service but guess the aux belts would want doing?

got a few more questions now sorry for taxing everyones brains so soon after the new year, but what is the reliabilty like of the 172'2, also the cost of spare parts? pads/exhausts etc?

many thanks
dean

Toureg vW Transporte
wheres this at auction mate?kingsland/leminster?sounds like a good idea to take a mechanic to give it the once over

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
got a few more questions now sorry for taxing everyones brains so soon after the new year, but what is the reliabilty like of the 172'2, also the cost of spare parts? pads/exhausts etc?

many thanks
dean

In my experience 172's are very very reliable.. in 4 years of ownership ive only ever had to call the RAC once and that was for a naffed battery..

yea its at kingsland car auctions!Its been ran through 6 times though and never made anywhere near the reserve.Trade arent interested due to the owners and buying from the auctions you get no warrenty and only 1 hour inspection,which on a £500 car is fine but not so good on a more expensive car!Ive been reading through the forum and it does seem like their very reliable and good fun!Just hope it more reliable than the s2 or b4!They seem to spend more time in the garage being repaired than on the road, or on the back of a recovery van!

Toureg vW Transporte
can you do a hpi on it to check for accident damage. ?have a friend with an impreza who works there everyother thursday,ill ask him

yep i did a hpi check and it all came up clear which was nice!The only downside is the owners but then the last owner sold it for genuine reason as he needed a larger more practical family car.Its just a nice looking car!Had no real intention of buying a renault untill i saw it,but im glad now that i did!They do look like a good fun sports hatch!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If the car is in good conition and everything looks and sound sok mechanically number of owners has never bothered me so I wouldn't worry. I think mine had 5 owners by 33k, I'm number 6 I think and have done another 34k in it so far.

182 FF
Just give it a really good inspection and then bite the bullet, I guess the only real problem is you don't get to take it for a test drive:(

Yea it would help if you could take it for a test dirve!As for the mods all that has been done to it is that it has been lowered, everything else is standard.I assume that the window tints are a factory option and the larger 16" alloys are?The exhaust/air filters are still standard,but would the tints be an factory option?
many thanks
dean

clio 172 sport
i wouldnt touch it to many owners in such a short time and on a newish car i allways look for full dealer service history.

i know what you mean it doesnt look good!Thats a new owner nearly every year!And would make you think that the car has got problems!But on the other hand one bad owner surely would be worst than 4 good owners?!some who has owned the car from new and every morning boots the engine straight up to 6k rpm would do alot more damage than 4 owners who have looked after the car?Suppose it is which way you look at it!But thanks for all tha advice!looks like im in good hands if i do end up buying it!

many thanks
dean