ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a machine polisher? OR do it by hand?

Z4
Just looking to tidy the car up to high standard without being uber anal about it!

The main aim is to get rid of the swirl marks and correct the headlights, is this achievable by hand?
If not REMOVE, filling would do fine as long as I keep on top of it. Could I apply poor boys blackhole glaze by hand very well? If not I may have to purchase a DAS6 pro? I don't feel confident enough for a rotary yet!

Any help is appreciated, thanks Chris.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
im no expert but tbh id suggest getting a rotary or a da polisher, your never going to get full correction by hand so your stuck to filling the swirl marks which imo isn't good enough (personal opinion as i like things to be perfect)

going from gallys recommendation hes suggested that the CYC rotary is perfect for the beginner.

so all in all it depends on how much your willing to spend.

Z4
im no expert but tbh id suggest getting a rotary or a da polisher, your never going to get full correction by hand so your stuck to filling the swirl marks which imo isn't good enough (personal opinion as i like things to be perfect)

going from gallys recommendation hes suggested that the CYC rotary is perfect for the beginner.

so all in all it depends on how much your willing to spend.

That's fine mate, I know that blackhole or something similar won't actually correct the paint, but tbh that doesn't bother me!
As long as there's no visible damage (swirls etc) that would do me..

225 Cup & Williams
Better of buying a da as they are much easier to use than a rotary then progress from there to a rotary once your a bit more confident.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Better of buying a da as they are much easier to use than a rotary then progress from there to a rotary once your a bit more confident.

Personally i dont see the point in this, if your going to progress onto a rotary, why not just jump in at the deep end and get one instead of running around the houses and wasting £100+ doing it.

best bet is to get a rotary and a scrap panel, that way you can practise (even burn through the paint on purpose to see what it is and how its done etc)

Titanium 182
Doubt you'll damage your paint even with a rotary as long as you're careful. Seriously people act like it's really dangerous or something.

225 Cup & Williams
Personally i dont see the point in this, if your going to progress onto a rotary, why not just jump in at the deep end and get one instead of running around the houses and wasting £100+ doing it.

best bet is to get a rotary and a scrap panel, that way you can practise (even burn through the paint on purpose to see what it is and how its done etc)

Just my opinion mate. Personally I found the rotary difficult to use at first so after a bit of time with a da I got the hang if it and started using the rotary more. It is very easy to f**k up with rotary though they generate alot of heat that some folk might not notice. But reading the guides on Detailingworld will help a lot.

Last edited:

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Doubt you'll damage your paint even with a rotary as long as you're careful. Seriously people act like it's really dangerous or something.

im still yet to do mine (horrible whether) but im sure a bit of common sense and research the chances of damaging your paintwork are slim.

Z4
Not getting a rotary lol, that wasn't what the thread was about!
The question is, would I hugely benefit getting a DAS6 pro over using something like blackhole (to fill) by hand?

Seat Ibiza
Not getting a rotary lol, that wasn't what the thread was about!
The question is, would I hugely benefit getting a DAS6 pro over using something like blackhole (to fill) by hand?

Why rule out a rotary?

You can still do as much damage as a rotary with a DA if you don't know what your doing.

There is a guy on here and Detailing World called Gally, i'm sure he will be along in a minute, but he seems to be the man, always gives sensible advice and some good affordable products that he recommends.

If he doesn't come along give him a PM. Everytime i've asked a detailing question he's always helped me.

Black Sheep
As good as black hole is ( it is brilliant) It doesnt hide bad swirls they still appear clear as day in the sun. Try the cyc rotary I got rid of my swirls first time and I am a noob just be sensible when you use it.

RB One Eight Two
Get a DAS-6 dude. I bought one and it is very easy to get use to. Its very difficult to do damage with aswell. I was well impressed!

Z4
Did DB not have time to take care of you then??

Thanks for passing on his details etc, but decided for the price of getting a detail done by someone else, I could buy pretty much all the equipment needed and do it myself, I didn't realise the clios paint could be corrected with a DA (I'm used to bmw/audi paint!)

Seat Ibiza
Thanks for passing on his details etc, but decided for the price of getting a detail done by someone else, I could buy pretty much all the equipment needed and do it myself, I didn't realise the clios paint could be corrected with a DA (I'm used to bmw/audi paint!)

Yeah doesn't that take quite a long time with a DA?

Not a 320d
I cant be arsed to read through this thread.

Seeing as you have a BMW I would suggest getting a rotary. Just read up and watch videos on how to do it first, it only really gets "dangerous" when your using a compound and a heavy compounding pad and the heat build up is ridiculous. BMW paint is for the most part pretty hard. Rotary makes shorter work of it. Its not rocket science, any c**t can polish a car.

DA takes longer. Im told you can achieve the same level of correction with DA but in my experience it takes so long with BMW paint to remove defects it becomes frustrating.

If youre new to this whole lark why not do it by hand to begin with. 6 hours polishing a car is not something I would have considered doing within the first year or two of me getting into this sick game. Get a paintwork cleaner, or a filler polish/cleaner (Super Resin Polish is a great product) and then top it with a wax or sealant to lock in the prep work. I always reccomend people to use Fk1000p to begin with as its durable, looks good and when you finally decide to move to bigger price tag waxes youve still got Fk for the wheels and more importantly the door shuts.

Why dont you get your wash technique/products/drying towels sorted first.

Z4
Why rule out a rotary?

You can still do as much damage as a rotary with a DA if you don't know what your doing.

There is a guy on here and Detailing World called Gally, i'm sure he will be along in a minute, but he seems to be the man, always gives sensible advice and some good affordable products that he recommends.

If he doesn't come along give him a PM. Everytime i've asked a detailing question he's always helped me.

Just a little bit scared I guess, I know the car has been machine polished before so I haven't got any idea how much clear coat is left on there as I don't have access to a PDG!

As good as black hole is ( it is brilliant) It doesnt hide bad swirls they still appear clear as day in the sun. Try the cyc rotary I got rid of my swirls first time and I am a noob just be sensible when you use it.

Amazing results for a noob!
Not sure I'd dare for the above reason...

Get a DAS-6 dude. I bought one and it is very easy to get use to. Its very difficult to do damage with aswell. I was well impressed!

Tempted. Is the Das6 pro worth the extra though?
If the Das6/das6 pro has the man power to remove swirls etc on clios, I can always start with that and progress to a rotary once I've gained experience and confidence. Yes it works out more expensive in the long run, but I'm sure the DA would sell on to recoup some cash and it's less expensive than a respray if things go tits up!

Z4
I cant be arsed to read through this thread.

Seeing as you have a BMW I would suggest getting a rotary. Just read up and watch videos on how to do it first, it only really gets "dangerous" when your using a compound and a heavy compounding pad and the heat build up is ridiculous. BMW paint is for the most part pretty hard. Rotary makes shorter work of it. Its not rocket science, any c**t can polish a car.

DA takes longer. Im told you can achieve the same level of correction with DA but in my experience it takes so long with BMW paint to remove defects it becomes frustrating.

If youre new to this whole lark why not do it by hand to begin with. 6 hours polishing a car is not something I would have considered doing within the first year or two of me getting into this sick game. Get a paintwork cleaner, or a filler polish/cleaner (Super Resin Polish is a great product) and then top it with a wax or sealant to lock in the prep work. I always reccomend people to use Fk1000p to begin with as its durable, looks good and when you finally decide to move to bigger price tag waxes youve still got Fk for the wheels and more importantly the door shuts.

Why dont you get your wash technique/products/drying towels sorted first.

It's not for the bmw mate, that's for sale, want to buy? Shameless plug!
It's for an RB 182.

Already have a reasonable wash technique, but will be buying some more bits when I've come to a conclusion to this thread lol.

Not a 320d
No thanks too old for me. After a 135i next.

If its for sale then get some blackhole. if its already fairly clean that is. And top it with a wax.

Unless it is really bad then get the rotary. That way youve got it for future use.

IIRC RB is pretty hard for clio paint. In fact, Im scared shitless of touching clios with rotaries in fear of me doing something wrong. And I thought DA was not up to the job on RB.

Black Sheep
You would really have to use the harshest pad and the harshest compound...... Then attack your car like a mad man to cause the damage that is talked about imo. Anyone with a bit of common sense will be fine starting with a rotary.

Not a 320d
No I wouldnt say like mad Slob. Although I do think once youre more confident with it youll start pushing it, rotary is so much better.

If you keep it moving and use the correct techniques youll be absolutely fine. Theres some good polishers out there. This EP800 or CYC whatever it is rotary would have been my choice if it was out when I bought my S1M 180.

Not a 320d
Thats P1 mate, not Mezerna or anything else. You work P1 at 900 rpm. Normal Polishes get worked at what, 1800ish?

Chris, Man it, its not difficult. Do your research on youtube and detailingworld. You can always sell.

If not get Blackhole (Id get it anyway)

Oh im also very tempted to get the P1 system myself but its not cheap.

Why rule out a rotary?

Ive been told to buy this one;
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...r-ep800-compact-rotary-polisher/prod_854.html

Do some research on DW mate, theres a fair few guides on there. There are two one for Rotary and one for Dual Action.

Yeah doesn't that take quite a long time with a DA?

Chap, I'm not getting at you, but I wouldn't be giving out advice on DA over rotary unless you are certain yourself.

The reason people treat Rotaries with caution is because you can f**k up your paint. Badly. Granted you can do the same with a DA, but it takes much less time with a rotary. A 5 second mistake with a rotary will cause 10x the amount of damage.

Chris, granted you could buy the kit for the same price as a DB detail... but the reason you should go to a detailer is the knowledge. It is not about correcting swirls. It is about correcting swirls by removing the least amount of paint possible.

Something that seems to be lost in todays detailing conversations.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
People wonder why I can't be arsed posting in this section as much...

Bwab started as a joke... Not so much anymore.

BG 182

+1

ive got a black gold 182 and the PB black hole makes the finish look great but doesnt remove the swirls

Z4
Chap, I'm not getting at you, but I wouldn't be giving out advice on DA over rotary unless you are certain yourself.

The reason people treat Rotaries with caution is because you can f**k up your paint. Badly. Granted you can do the same with a DA, but it takes much less time with a rotary. A 5 second mistake with a rotary will cause 10x the amount of damage.

Chris, granted you could buy the kit for the same price as a DB detail... but the reason you should go to a detailer is the knowledge. It is not about correcting swirls. It is about correcting swirls by removing the least amount of paint possible.

Something that seems to be lost in todays detailing conversations.

I realise that mate, and that would be the plan! Surely starting with a DA (yes I know it will take longer) it would be better to learn the skill before jumping in the deep end? And as you say, removing as little as possible in order to correct, the internet is full of information in order to assist. That's the plan...
IF I go Da, which is recommended, does the DAS6 Pro have a bit more bolloks about it?

I think I'll get a DAS6 tonight with all the gear, thanks for your advise JD, you seem to be one of the more knowledgeable ones so I'll take it. Lots of people saying conflicting things makes it very confusing!

Bumder With A Buffer
Billy With A Buffer.

IE a guy that buys a machine polisher and decides to call himself a detailer and offer his services. Granted everyone has to start somewhere but a lot of people buy a load of kit and go out doing peoples cars, those people then have to spend out again to get that bad work re-done.

Technically Im a BWAB.

Z4
Billy With A Buffer.

IE a guy that buys a machine polisher and decides to call himself a detailer and offer his services. Granted everyone has to start somewhere but a lot of people buy a load of kit and go out doing peoples cars, those people then have to spend out again to get that bad work re-done.

Technically Im a BWAB.

Ah ok, nothing to do with this thread at all then as that's not what I'm intending on doing lol. Just want to make these horrible swirls go away every time the sun comes out!

Z4
Ok, I've finally decided lol. Das 6 pro!

Could someone pretty please tell me what pads/polishes/backing pads I will most likely need?!
xx