ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I buy a 172? Honestly?

Clio Sport 1.4 16v
As my title suggests I am very much toying with the idea of trading my car in and buying a 172. Ive just turned 21 and my insurance has dropped to a very reasonable price on one and I have the cash to buy one. It seems like an obvious choice but...

Im a student and I do an awful lot of driving, this is mostly on the motorway and currently in my 1.4 dynamique im getting about 35mpg on average. Im interested to know what sort of mpg people are running in 172s in busy motorway traffic and about town?

Honestly is it worth it or shall I just keep dreaming?

Daz

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Don't let the mpg put you off, i've not reset my mpg counter in my Mk2 172 now for just under 10K and it reads 34.8 mpg thats a mixture of motorway miles and B road blasts.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
they quality on fuel, cane em or not. mine usedto be 10mpg better than my old type r. even my 197 is averaging 30 on hard driving, 34 on easy motorway driving.

Take one for a test drive then have a week to think how much extra it will cost you if you still want one then go for it.

Z4
I'm in the same boat mate. For a 2.0, it's very economical! You won't get performance like it for the price you will pay for the car, the same goes for the mpg! I'm pretty dead set I'm getting one now :D

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Mine returned 42.9mpg today...

That was over total of 380 miles.. 300 on the M4 @ 70. The rest was stop start traffic and some A roads.

Not too shabby really :)

Clio 172 mk2
Quite economical and fun to drive

Go for it if you can afford the insurance....that's going to be your biggest problem at 21.

BMW 330D
As said above go for it but shop around for insurance as like me at 21 it aint cheap!. Now i have a 172 im so glad i went for it. Pocket rockets!!!!

133/225/CLS AMG
I was 21 when I got my 172 and it was the best thing I could have done. Insurance was reasonable and even though I was doing about 150-200 miles a wheel it only ever cost me £20-£25 a week in petrol.

Compared to my Megane 225s 25mpg or 32mpg-ish on a motorway run, the Clios are pretty efficient on fuel.

Bloody good fun as well mate, so go buy one!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I averaged 33mpg in my 172 with a mixture of town and motorway driving. Down to 29mpg in my new car :(

Clio Sport 1.4 16v
Seems like Ill actually get better mpg on a motorway run than I do now. As I said before my insurance is more than affordable. Im currently paying £799 on the 1.4 with three years no claims. I spoke to my insurance company the other day and if I update my policy to a 172 they've said it'll actually go down because im now 21. Sounds a bit odd but suppose it makes sense cos I insured the 1.4 when I was 20.

My car has gone in for a service and MOT today so all going well I think ill go for a test drive this week and probably go for it.

Thanks for the advice. What does everyone think a reasonable price for a 2002 year 172 would be?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I traded my 02 plate 172 for £5000 earlier this month with 41,000 miles. I imagine they will try sell it for £6k.

On a motorway run you should easily achieve 38-42mpg.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
don't do it imo. wait until you are working and not a student, then let the fun begin!

A4 Avant
I'd recommend one. As said just ensure you can afford it on a students salary, as with all cars they do need money spent on them to keep them in good condition. Apart from that I don't think there are many cars in the same price bracket that are as fun or as quick to drive!