ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I be concered? Opened the box and found....

Clio 172 Track(ish)
this:
IMG_0791.jpg

Looks like some fluid has leaked from the damper and onto the box? Maybe im being naive but is this right? Both dampers in the box feel kind of greasy.

Cheers all.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Back in the day (2004) when i had some, the rear shock lasted about 5 miles untill it spat its fluid. Horrid things, sorry fella :(

Might be something and nothing. As they are new and metal, they probably will be oily to the touch anyway

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
Leave the shock on some paper to see if its still leaking? Might just be grease left on the shock somewhere.

Clio 172 Track(ish)
One constructive comment?!? Lol.

Ok, so it would appear they don't have a good reputation with you guys. what should i do? Send them back? Try them then if no good claim on warranty? Btw what setup should i have bought for £500 that's height and damper adjustable?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
One of Gaz Gold rears and one of the fronts both spat out all of their oil after a years use! They where bought second hand though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd send them back for a refund if possible. Why is adjustable damping a priority? A fixed damping setup is better than a poor adjustable setup imo.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It'll just be the oil on them to protect them. Wouldn't worry. Although, GAZ are pasch!

Clio 172 Track(ish)
Ok, spoke to Anthony at K-Tec, absolute gent! Explained the situation and that I'd lost faith in the dampers and didnt want a replacement damper from GAZ. Asked if I could swap to one of the basic KTR Coilover non adjust kits and that I was desperate for these as have a trackday Sunday at Pembrey.

So.. he's arranged to have the GAZ/KTR kit to be picked up in an hour, when they've had confirmation that courier has it, they will send out the replacement kit and credit my account.

Fingers crossed :eek:

At the risk of being the only person with a positive comment, ive had my GAZ Adjustables for 4 months now, my box looked like that 2bh. Mine were very greasy to the touch, and looks like they have been given a click blast with spray loob to keep the rust off.

However there absolutely fine, i fitted them myself and ive had it on the hardest setting on the front for all of the 4 months of ownership. (The ride is V hard, but i like it like a go kart, i dont mind feeling every bump hehe)

Handling is very good, much much improved over my stock 172 setup and i drive like a b*astard 24/7. I have the rears 16 clicks down from the hardest setting and thats BLOODY hard, do not even try and put the rears on the harder settings they are very very very hard, to the point where the springs cannot return fully. If you search, ull see my thread about it.

My main criticism is that there isnt very good adjustment on the front, theres supposed to be 16 clicks....but thats BS, there is a hell of alot of adjustment.....i could only just feel the clicks and theres tons more than 16.

I bought mine from Ktec aswell, cannot fault that company.

Last edited:
I have seen at least 4 sets slowly filling the top mounts with their contents. They 'adjustment' knobs on the top of the shock literally look like they have been carved with a file - so so horribly finished.

I have seen at least 4 sets slowly filling the top mounts with their contents. They 'adjustment' knobs on the top of the shock literally look like they have been carved with a file - so so horribly finished.

Agreed visually that is true, the adjustment bit looks utter tosh. Its a real shame they didnt do that bit properly as the rest of the shock, looks well finished.

I shall be checking mine shortly, but the handling is spot on for me, so i guess there ok.

ITB'd MK1
i see where you're coming from. I personally can't stand the FK setup at all, but yes the vmaxx's are probably a bit too soft for trackwork

M2 Competition
I'd send them back for a refund if possible. Why is adjustable damping a priority? A fixed damping setup is better than a poor adjustable setup imo.

Indeed.

Unless you know how to set a car up, get a set that very well paid german engineers have set up for you.

If you get adjustable damping, likelyhood is that you'll set them up once and never touch them again, and that most of the damping adjustment wont suit the springs that they come with so will be rendered useless.

S4 Avant
Agreed visually that is true, the adjustment bit looks utter tosh. Its a real shame they didnt do that bit properly as the rest of the shock, looks well finished.

I shall be checking mine shortly, but the handling is spot on for me, so i guess there ok.

Give it a few more months, you'll be sick of them. My front dampers have slowly leaked their oil into the top mounts, and you can feel the front end happily bouncing away round corners, very little damping force.

Rusty Cup
^^^ ive had mine on for 2 years, and for the record the adjustment on top of the damper is rebound not damping so if you have turned it to its fullest thinking your making the suspension harder you will get the bouncing round corners thingy going on as rebound controls how quickly the damper returns to a resting state. Damping force can be strengthened by asking gaz to do so.. i did.. they did it at no cost to me :) yes there is better suspension out there but ive never regretted buying mine although they cost me £379 new rather than £500 or so which seems a bit steep tbh.

Track 172cup
i see where you're coming from. I personally can't stand the FK setup at all, but yes the vmaxx's are probably a bit too soft for trackwork

whys that Danny ? obviously KW's are what i'm wanting but their double the price and it's whether i can hold out long enough to save the extra over the FK's lol