ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Short Shift Gear Lever

Clio 172 phase 1
I've got this one... I opened the box went cool looked for a fitment guide and it looked hell having to remove the exhaust and all it's now sat in its box for a nice dry day the kits not actually too bad quality speech for 50notes u won't be disappointed for the money

PH1 Track Car
any idea how the lift up reverse will work on cars fitted with a cable lift up system though? worried the reverse isnt going to work properly!

also how stiff is it to move the stick around within the bearing?

Clio 172 Cup
I've never used this type however I had a b@m and when it got hot it seized up, so got rid now I have an mb engineering one and that's fine, never heard that about the trophy as far as I'm aware there all the same but I don't have a trophy mat be worth removing the gear gator and having a look.

£50 a bargain !!!

neither of my old ones were that good a price

PH1 Track Car
well i read that ph1 doesnt have a cable but ph2 does but im not certain.
i think the one i linked is the same design as the mb engineering one, where did you get that from?

Clio 172 Cup
well i read that ph1 doesnt have a cable but ph2 does but im not certain.
i think the one i linked is the same design as the mb engineering one, where did you get that from?

Im on a phase 2 and there is no cable

it appears that the mb car performance has gone

Cup In bits
There is a cable inside the standard gearstick iirc or it might be a spring. Your reverse will always work okay its wether it can be selected when you don't want. There will be a spring inside this linked lever that keeps the reverse sleeve on the lever down untill you lift it to select reverse.

PH1 Track Car
Ah I see. It looks like the metal collar on that new one is longer than it is on a normal gear stick so maybe it locks reverse out by the metal collar hitting plastic inside the gear housing?

just wondered because I don't really want to go to all the effort of fitting it if its not going to work properly!

also noticed the b&m one doesn't have fitment for a cable either so wondered if it worked in the same way as that and anyone could advise me.

​Thanks

The cable has nothing to do with reverse - it just pulls the lever back down so it's sprung when you lift it up

The bit that stops you going into reverse is the big chunk of plastic on the gearstick housing - when you pull the nob up it clears that and allows you to go further left
All the after-market quick shifts use an internal spring instead of that little cable you can see