ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

She’s Getting Hot (16v)

My cooling fan dont seem to be kicking in so can anyone answer me the following little posers.

Where is the fan switch?

where should the fan kick in on the temp gauge?

Could it be anything else, I darent use it in case i cook the engine in traffic!

By the way, Ive checked the fuse!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

fan switch is on the side of the radiator. unplug it,bridge out the connector and see if the fan works.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

can be a bit awkward but not that bad. you have to squeeze the connector and pull it off.

172 Cup

mine too!! you wont cook the engine mate just make sure if it goes past the second line just pull over and let it cool down.

Paul

My car did this - the fan refused to kick in after the second big mark! It nearly overheated!! It knackered my water pump and i had to have a new one!

500bhp Scoob

my RT gets up to the 3rd mark, ive been told this is normal, but im not liking it one bit, is there anywhere i can get a lower temperature thermostatic switch from?

(sorry for hi-jacking your thread)

[Edited by Mole on 19 May 2004 at 8:37pm]

ex Clio 172 owner :(

My RT used to run really hot as the radiator was clogged up through age. Never got the warning light coming on, but so close a few times. Try turning your internal heaters on full and on 3 and roll windows down to let the warm air out if you dont want to cook yourself. The internal heater works like a miniature radiator which when on helps keep engine cooler. I used to put mine on as soon as I got into traffic and it kept it from moving up. By the time I got around to trading it in, even that wouldnt keep it low. I used to avoid traffic jams where I could by going round the long way just to keep the air flowing.

Ive been told too that the ecu will cut the engine out if the temp gets too high. Never had that myself though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 19 May 2004

My RT used to run really hot as the radiator was clogged up through age. Never got the warning light coming on, but so close a few times. Try turning your internal heaters on full and on 3 and roll windows down to let the warm air out if you dont want to cook yourself. The internal heater works like a miniature radiator which when on helps keep engine cooler. I used to put mine on as soon as I got into traffic and it kept it from moving up. By the time I got around to trading it in, even that wouldnt keep it low. I used to avoid traffic jams where I could by going round the long way just to keep the air flowing.

Ive been told too that the ecu will cut the engine out if the temp gets too high. Never had that myself though.
the ecu wont cut the engine. the engine will just overheat until something seizes,warps or snaps.

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 19 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 19 May 2004

the ecu wont cut the engine. the engine will just overheat until something seizes,warps or snaps.
Actually mate - the ecu does cut the engine out! My fan wasnt working this winter and when we had a freak snow storm i had to get home - the traffic was awful - anyway my engine overheated through lots of stopping and starting and the red light came on and cut the engine out. According to the manual this is an automnatic shut off to stop you blowing the thing up! Thank god for that!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

well never come across that yet even the new ones dont do it. might be something they used for hotter countries but ive never had that on any renault ive had at work. it is a good idea but never come across it. would save customers a lot of money if they did do that.

Yup - saved me motor i think - was well glad of it!!! Think all valvers do it - unless it was a late option on mine as mine is a 95 jobbie (lateish!) The irony of a car overheating in a bloody blizzard!! Shame everything else onm my car is knackered!