ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shattering 197 Locking Nuts

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
So I'm armed with my Halfrauds Laser locking wheel nut breakers, a breakers bar and awaiting my friend to come home from work with an impact gun.. however, he's told me I won't get these nuts off with this set up as the outside circle of the nut 'spins' to stop it from being broken.. is this the case?

Accidentally binned the key. :l

Picture:
naKOszk.jpg

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Yup, that's a spinning collar! you need to weld a standard bolt to the centre of the security bolt to get that off. And remember, drilling f***s the hub.

dan's cast offs.
not a spinning collar, the kit linked does them fine. had one for ages and works a treat.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Rac and AA daren't the most reliable with these kits and the last time I saw them use it they decided to charge through someone's premiums because they considered it "private work and not a breakdown". The weld job will take a few seconds of you drive to a garage and slip them £10.

And trust me that's a spinning collar. Might not move with your hand but mole grips will prove it.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Would the easiest bet not to be shattering the collar off the nut and then my method of the socket/hammer?

dan's cast offs.
nope, the easiest way is find someone with the kit linked that will get it off without damaging it. but if you want to go for it and 'shatter' the collar then have fun and don't forget when you miss with a lump hammer the only things you're going to damage are your knuckles or the wheel:wink:

Clio 2.0 16v 182
^^ agreed. Shattering the collar is risky and you'll waste a perfectly good socket. If you weren't so far away I could weld another bolt on tonight and have it off in a minute. Literally a minute.