ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up coilovers/adjusting camber

172 & RSi
Just got some FK Highsports for my 172 and fitted them, have them really low which looks ace but the fronts are scrubbing so going to have to raise them. How do people run them so low without scrubbing (Christopher/f0xy etc.) do you lot take out your archliners?

Anyway, from what I understand they are camber adjustable, is it just front camber that adjusts or is it front and rear? How do I adjust this....is it the slotted top mounting hole on the front shocks that sets it? I read in another thread "The mounting holes are wider than the actual bolts meaning you can move them about a bit which in turn adjusts the camber"...We just estimated the the middle of the slots before tightening the bolts, I'm guessing this could be why my tracking has now gone well out? How would I get an accurate measurement to set the camber?

Sorry for all the questions just wanna clear this up. I am planning on getting them set up in the future just wanna know what I can do in the meantime. I've tried to describe everything the best I can but if you can't make head nor tail of it, let me know and I'll try and rephrase it.

Cheers

Last edited:
  172 & RSi
I've done a rubbish example below (MS PAINT FTW) to show what I mean by the hole being elongated to adjust camber, crap I know but might make it clearer than my explaination.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd77/mossy87/Strut.jpg

Basically because the hole is wider you can move the whole strut and tighten it anywhere in the hole, thus setting the camber, I can mess around with that but how do I measure when its perfectly straight, as thats what I'd prefer.

For example, if I tighten the bolt on the far right, would that be straight, or would that be positive camber? I know tightening it on the far left will be negative, I just wana know how to set it straight.

Cheers

Clio's
If your going for a rough estimate of whats straight then put it about in the middle. you need a smart level or similar to measure the camber perfectly and that will only be accurate if you have the car set up on flat patches

172 & RSi
If your going for a rough estimate of whats straight then put it about in the middle. you need a smart level or similar to measure the camber perfectly and that will only be accurate if you have the car set up on flat patches

Thanks mate, would it be worth marking the centre with a marker on the shock do you think? Will this sort my tracking problems as my wheel is now at about 11 o'clock when I'm going straight? Any more tips?

Clio's
it will help the tracking especially if both sides are equal. you will probably need to do the tracking aswell though to get it right. you can check the tracking using 2 axle stands some fishing line and a ruler but again without the flat patches and tracking bars wnt be 100% accurate

i had no arch liners, mine were wound near enough to the bottom thread of the coilover....

christophers is slightly higher, he still has archliners, but i think the bits that rub have worn through

172 & RSi
it will help the tracking especially if both sides are equal. you will probably need to do the tracking aswell though to get it right. you can check the tracking using 2 axle stands some fishing line and a ruler but again without the flat patches and tracking bars wnt be 100% accurate

Can you explain please mate, I have all the above parts so could have a go on my day off to get a rough estimate of where I'm going wrong, cheaper than the garage lol.

Cheers f0xy and matt_trev too for your help :)