ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Setting up a webcam

RIP Dan
Anyone set up a public webcam, (no, not one of those types) something like this:

http://www.cisurf.com/webcam.php

So I need an outdoor cam powered and attached to a router??

Then somehow I can connect to it from my PC/Mac? and then what just link it somehow to my website?

Anyone know and got any cam manufacturer recommendations. It needs to be decent as it will be on my business site.

RIP Dan
Now you have got me, dunno. The one in my link updates every 30 seconds. Whichever is easier I suppose.

Bus w**ker
Personally I'd go for snapshot at a defined duration. Say every 30 minutes (it's difficult without knowing what the business is and what you're going to be showing on the webcam) the webcam will take a snapshot and upload the image to your webserver via FTP, as long as you allow it to overwrite and use the same file name then the linking after that is straight forward on the website as you just point to the one path and image name and a refresh of the site does the rest for you (unless you have caching set up wrong...but that's getting too complicated right now).

There's plenty of free software out there that will do all of the above so I wouldn't be forking out on any. Webcam wise it depends on what you want from that. Do you want it to be motorized or static? Nightvision enabled? And most importantly what's your budget?

Obviously if you decide you want 24/7 live streaming then that's a whole other route.

RIP Dan
Its just like the link I gave but another place ;-)

Will be a surf cam so no night vision needed, every 30 seconds would be needed rather than 30 minutes as you need a up to date view.

Budget, couple of hundred?

Bus w**ker
Well you can pick and choose the timer setting through the software mate, so any duration you want really.

Where will the camera be located (not as in geographical location, but physical)? If you're going to attach it to the outside of a property then you'll need to look for a good waterproof HD camera that can be networked or at least has a USB connection, which you should be able to get for under £200, but if you have a second (or higher) floor window facing the surf then you could mount a good quality HD webcam there and save quite a few quid.

RIP Dan
It will probably be outside, will have to check and see.

So as long as I get one labelled as an IP camera and is waterproof the software etc will come with it? All I need is power and wired or wireless router connection?

Bus w**ker
It will come with some form of software, but it may not suit your need, but yeah IP is ideal. As long as it has the ability to let you set a timed static shot with a fixed name and FTP then it will do all you need. You're going to have to run power to it anyway, so personally I'd opt for a wired connection and save some cash. But that also depends on where your router is and how comfortable you are running cables, more so if the business premises are rented.

Oh and just a thought, if the software allows have it take it's last capture around sunset and then start back up again at sunrise. It looks better, IMO, to have a nice shot on your site through the night rather than darkness.

RIP Dan
Thanks for the info mate, will see what comes of things. Its an addition to the site that I will have, so it will be the first thing that goes if I run out of funds. I am a sparks by trade so cabling is fine for me...depends on what building I can get it on.