ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Service, ABS & Traction control lights on?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
2004 182, FF.

When starting the car i usually turn the key to and wait for all the lights on the dash go out. Ive done this with all my cars as i always assume its doing some sort of startup diagnostic, finally once there out i turn on the ignition.

Yesterday im not entirely sure i did the above and the lights as descirbed in the thread title came on. So i turned the engine off, took out the key and tried again. It worked but then i noticed a few moments down the road the lights came back on. So again i repeated by turning the engine off and started again and it was fine and has been fine this morning.

The last time it did this was back in September when i first bought the car and hasnt done it since.

Has anyone experienced this? Am i right in assuming its either my eager starting thats brought this up or one of the sensors on the abs or traction control system has brought up a fault?

Cheers.

had this last week on my 182 mate, got it sorted under warranty, mechanic told me it was a switch on the brake pedal putting the warning lights on, sorted it out for me under warranty, he reckoned it was a common fault. hope this helps.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Ok well cheers for you help, very much appreciated. Im sure someone from here will be able to help me further with the part and wherebouts its located and hopefully i can do the work myself since i dont have any warranty. :D

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Brake switch, may just need adjusting.

It's common for them to go, but you need it plugged in to check really.

took this from another thread on here mate, not sure how to put a link in yet.

Here is a guide of how to adjust the brake light switch, which when not adjusted properly/faulty can bring on your ABS, ESP and SERV light, also your CC may not work(green light not illuminating) -

The brake light switch is located at the top of the brake pedal lever, open your drivers door, get down on the floor on your knees, make sure car is out of gear and start engine (which will allow the brake pedal to travel further down because the servo is now operating), push the brake pedal down and hold it there, at the top of the pedal lever you will find a small pin switch, pull out the centre of the switch as far as it will go, it is on a ratchet so you will hear it clicking, then let the brake pedal up slowly to the rest posistion, that's it job done.

However, a thread some weeks ago about the same type of fault resulted in £500 worth of work needed doing by the dealer to a car just out of warranty, as yours runs out next month, it's probably a good idea to get them to look at it and any other faults you can think of.
user_offline.gif

BMW M4; S1000 RR
my eager starting thats brought this up

lol fag.

For diesels you're meant to wait for the glow plug light to go out which gives them a second to warm up or charge or whatever.

I've also had an instance that my stop light and the abs light has come on (when doing rob style u-turns) but it's always gone out when I restart the engine.

BMW M135i
took this from another thread on here mate, not sure how to put a link in yet.

Here is a guide of how to adjust the brake light switch, which when not adjusted properly/faulty can bring on your ABS, ESP and SERV light, also your CC may not work(green light not illuminating) -

The brake light switch is located at the top of the brake pedal lever, open your drivers door, get down on the floor on your knees, make sure car is out of gear and start engine (which will allow the brake pedal to travel further down because the servo is now operating), push the brake pedal down and hold it there, at the top of the pedal lever you will find a small pin switch, pull out the centre of the switch as far as it will go, it is on a ratchet so you will hear it clicking, then let the brake pedal up slowly to the rest posistion, that's it job done.

However, a thread some weeks ago about the same type of fault resulted in £500 worth of work needed doing by the dealer to a car just out of warranty, as yours runs out next month, it's probably a good idea to get them to look at it and any other faults you can think of.
user_offline.gif

That didn't work for me, according to the renault docs the brake light switch must close to turn the brake lights on before 4 bar (iirc) of pressure has built up in the brake circuit or it'll put the ESP/ABS/SERV lights on. The idea is it warns you of a failed brake pedal switch and that you've got no brake lights.

What I did was do the above and then pressed the switch in 2 clicks until it was setup so as soon as you pressed the brake pedal the lights came on and its been fine since.

ATR
possibly an abs sensor on the brakes mate, have experienced the same problem on a differnt model. Tw**ing wire cost £100!!!